Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Here I go again: '74 Euro Carrera

Assembling the rest of the car has taken way more time than I imagined. Even though so much is still available from Porsche, buying the car in boxes means that we are constantly having to stop and chase down even the smallest parts. I have strived for near-perfect when it comes to hardware, although I don't intend to have the car judged.

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_3279.jpg

IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3747.jpg

Some of the fun details boil down to paying homage to the previous owners. I found this vintage grill badge for Scuderia Hanseat on German eBay. As the original owner was an instructor and later helped manage the club, I thought it would be a cool touch. I also bought a vintage LeMans decal because of his subsequent race history.

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_3801.jpg

Since the car was built in early October 1973 and Porsche had only cinched the Championship at the end of September I think it's more accurate that the car carries the earlier '72 only decal. I don't believe that Porsche would have been able to design and print a batch of '73 stickers at the time this car was completed.

IMG_3802.jpg

Because the car was also ordered with a roll bar, I was able to source a correct German made Matter roll bar from Don Ahearn. I also tracked down a correct date stamped Gloria Avus fire extinguisher from right here on the Early S registry. Also, as an homage to the IROC series, I covered the radio delete plate in the appropriate shift sticker.

IMG_3763.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3811.jpg

Not pictured are the extensive amount of period receipts and comprehensive factory brochures that I put together for the car. Basically the car has every piece of paper you can have for a 1974 Euro Carrera, including all period magazine articles (in English and German). My goal was to make the most complete example of these cars as I could, seeing as how I was starting with such great raw materials.

So while it is not finished yet, here are some pictures of where the car stands today. We are hoping to have it finished in time to be in Luft 9 in San Francisco. If you happen to be at the show, please come by and say hello. Take note: the wheels in these pictures are not the final set. I actually have another set that are RSR finish but lighter than these. Also, the front and rear lower valances need to be changed but that will happen after the car finally comes home and I start getting tips on what else needs to be corrected.

IMG_3745.jpg

IMG_3746.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

69706446927__E9651195-F202-492B-A827-1458AC0B77A5.jpg

Always liked the orange. Have you been able to locate the retangular perferated speaker grill. If so where?

Such a cool build. Congrats!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thanks Peter!

vintage 911, I believe that the rectangular perforations ended with the '73 cars. I could be mistaken though.

Hi Mike,

Great looking restoration in a beautiful color. I'm partial to '74 Euro Carrera cars.
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Well done, we are having our '74 Mexico Blau Euro Carrera under reconstruction for 4 years already ... still hope next summer will be the good one

Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Hi Mike,

Great looking restoration in a beautiful color. I'm partial to '74 Euro Carrera cars.
    Thanks Bert. In some ways I blame you and your Arrow Blue car. I've never gotten over how much I loved that car.

Biancaneve, I wish you well on your restoration and hope that you'll share some pictures here with a fellow sufferer.