Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One rare & unique "momo" (pre-momo Monza)

WOW!
    That would look good with my red interior. Nice find!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    WOW!
    Cool post a pic!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    WOW!
    That’s the first thought I had!
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Sorry to revive this thread but can someone please provide am opinion if one or the other is fake...or actually both originals? Thanks!

Name:  Screenshot_20231229-183046_One UI Home.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  77.7 KB

I am the new guardian to the Monza from the previous page, and just compared to your photos and it does not look alike either one,
    specially the second one with the ball end at the end of each letter.

I hope that my opinion does not imply anything as I am no expert.

Kind regards,

Alberto. HNY!

PS. If I can figure out how to post a photo I will.
    Last edited by swift53; 03-14-2024 at 12:30 PM.

Hope this works...Name:  IMG_2104.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  51.1 KB
    albeit out of focus, you can see the difference

Name:  IMG_2105.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  84.6 KB Better focus

Quote Originally Posted by al agustin View Post
    Sorry to revive this thread but can someone please provide am opinion if one or the other is fake...or actually both originals? Thanks!

Name:  Screenshot_20231229-183046_One UI Home.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  77.7 KB
    Kind of hard to tell by just those two photos. I’d want to see the whole wheel front and back, leather, stitching and other markings.

Gut tells me left yes, right maybe. I wouldn’t judge them by the custom wheel that’s the subject of the thread. For instance, it almost appears that the monza logo is painted in and on the early engraved wheels, it was done after anodized black to let the natural aluminum to show through. Wasn’t painted.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    Kind of hard to tell by just those two photos. I’d want to see the whole wheel front and back, leather, stitching and other markings.

Gut tells me left yes, right maybe. I wouldn’t judge them by the custom wheel that’s the subject of the thread. For instance, it almost appears that the monza logo is painted in and on the early engraved wheels, it was done after anodized black to let the natural aluminum to show through. Wasn’t painted.
    Well, I have put gold in Gun engravings that would look a lot better, (owners of cheap guns liked that)... yet, no one knows if this was painted or not. The reality is with or without paint, the edges of the Monza logo are
    so crisp that you can catch your nail on it, and it will shave. The engraving, F & R is all like that, just as firearms brand or model stamping / serial numbers. Extremely crisp.

The two pictures by Al Agustin, the engravings look rough, specially the 2nd one, and the Font is different. It looks as made by a "ball milling machine" or possibly a laser. The other, no idea.
    No laser available in the 60's.

It is unfortunate Mark Morissey passed away unexpectedly, he would give a perfect opinion, as a foremost expert on Moretti's work.

As far as your very accurate observation of the paint, well, a dab of paint remover will take it off, then, if not to your taste, you can re do it. I am certainly not going to.

This one has an incredibly equal depth of paint. Measured it with my wife's jewelry depth finder in .001ths. the backside engraving / cold stamping, is perfectly even in depth.

Regards, Alberto

I am no expert but have a few 'stacked' MoMo steering wheels but I do know that I would be pretty nervous stating the example on the right with the circular indents at the beginning and end of each letter was genuine.
    We now live in a world of fakes, knock offs and forgeries and I think its just a damn shame those that practice this illicit craft have stooped to MoMo
    Mark