Thread: M-liste / option 178 for 1968 which option is this?

M-liste / option 178 for 1968 which option is this?

I can't find the option 178 for 1968 MY anyone has that info?

thanks much

Hej Thomas

1968 MY uses 4-digit option codes

Mxxx option codes are for MY 1970 onwards. Never heard of M178.
    Thomas
    1973 911S Targa

I agree, and I find it a very curious option. Where did you come across this reference?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

it's a 68 MY on kardex Is written sonderwunsch ausserh. der M-Liste no. 178

Interesting…” special request of the M list no. 178”…
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I don´t think 178 is a reference to an option code.

"ausserh." could be short of "außerhalb", and could mean "external" or "outside" in this contest. What "M-liste" means is unclear. Any chance you could post a picture of the Kardex?
    Thomas
    1973 911S Targa

Here's a prior discussion on the topic.

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...nslation/page2

A similar conclusion was reached about "asserh." meaning "outside". I think that "M-Liste" translates to standard options list.

The Kardex for 11820805 shown in the prior post shows many "special wish" options on that car from the 911R that were not on the option list for the rest of the 911 range.

I think that "Sonderwunsch asserh. der M-Liste Nr. 168 u. 067" on the Kardex for 11820805 could mean "Special wishes outside the standard option list number 168 and 067" and references either the multiple 911R options listed above and/or possibly engine modifications as suggested previously. The numbers in these notations (168, 067) seems to be tied to a unique "special wishes" request rather than a specific option or options.
    Last edited by Eric Gratz; 03-13-2023 at 09:35 AM.

As Eric says the M-List numbers (and the Rech nr numbers) are completely different to option numbers (or M numbers later on)
    They seem to relate to a written document in the "customer repair" area - later called the special wishes area - that specifies the modifications pre delivery for that particular car. These can be a series of modifications to both body and the mechanical side such as engine suspension etc for competition (mostly engine for extra power when it is accompanied by "motor Frisiert")
    Some cars seem to share the same M-liste or Rech nr number and date, but that is rare and probably relates to them having identical modifications but most have separate numbers.
    I think they are best thought of as work sheets for the customer repair area but unfortunately despite lots of looking I have never been able to find an original copy of one. I believe that the area they were stored in (not in main factory records area) was damaged by flood or fire (different stories from different people) in the 1970s (or they were just thrown out at some stage)
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776