Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porsche factory key ring

Porsche factory key ring

Hi,

Id love to own an original factory keyring like this one.

Very best,

Martin

IMG_9902.jpg

I will let you know if I find a spare…
    only have some
    „donkey kongs“ available

br

haul
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

I want one of these too. Mine finally broke after 43 years. I would love to have an “Original” again!

Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    I will let you know if I find a spare…
    only have some
    „donkey kongs“ available

br

haul
    Question for the key ring police…..When did the “factory” key-rings that are now being deemed superior original genuine made in West Germany first become available?

The ones from CUD as one maker prolific as an example were available with different the evolving maker logo designs on reverse as follows.
    DCBA6FDC-7423-44D4-BCE0-19E45805AA7E.jpeg
    Seens made a Porsche crest version with the earliest cUd logo as I have one of those ….
    C5DAC9CA-E568-48D4-B7F8-22BE44650C0C.jpeg

… they don’t appear to have been prevented from using the crest by Porsche themselves or by the company who made tge “factory” version in Weat Germany because I have several that spanning the eras in the graphic. Not cubxkusive perhaps Porsche lawyers wer kess protective and controlling of such brand logos and licensed product in those days.

What’s behind my question is while some with crest seem to be becoming the butt of a standing joke about “don-key” on this forum were this’d RS from CUD and similar makers the only fobs that were available at some points for folks wanting the Porsche crest fob before ones made officially under some sort of licence by Porsche in West Germany due the “factory”? Not implying CUD Craftsman et al were ever a licensed
    “factory” accessory but wondering if they might have been only ones available for private individuals and porschd dealers in some regions to order to supply to customers if they wished to do so a certain times? I believe CUD business model was more oriented to dealers to be advertising or goodwill giveaways with new or secondhand cars than the OEM licences — but I’m not certain of the arrangements. Not uncommon here U.K. to find fob with dealer name and contacts printed in a gikd/silver foil on reverse side of leather fob — some were official Porsche agents. Not just XYD but a thriving set of makers in England.

So was actually given ith the cars new or nearly new second hand I don’t know it was always the same by Ciubett/ region just curious if the key experts do?
    Steve

PS Moderators feel free to move this comment to a key thread if it is not appropriate to wtb thread but it is this that comment from OP that prompted me to try an clarify what is meant when the term ‘factory keyring” is used in context 50s-mid 70s Porsche . Not clear despite photo what qualifies as “factory original” keyholder: supplied (always sometimes) when car sold new, available in factory accessory catalogue, sourced by ofichal importer or a franchised dealer from a suitable regional maker for use as a promotional goodwill item, etc? Regarding what was supplied when with new car is that clear and consistent across time and region ? There was at times a checklist of what needed to be handed by dealer to a customer and sometimes there was an addressed tear out in service schedule to fundirm customer receipt : toolkit, lackstift etc but not keyholder in my cars original booklet, if I recall correctly. My car was registered early calendar 73 in England and pretty sure it was supplied to first buyer with the well known leather pouch with a crest embossed into the hide, spring closure style with clip on chain — red interior. Not afaik a metal crest leather fob as in OP picture. Pictures like that were however in literature like xhostohiris ads ans accessories catalogues I believe what I still have might be original to car as it came that way to me three decades’ ago plus the more compelling evidence is the RHD press demonstrator (another 72 built 73 RS) supplied by the GB sole concessionaire and used for PR and motor racing certainly had the same Key pouch style as mine (not a key ring with fob metal crest). Clear in press photographs when model new in early calendar 73. I do have various key fobs but not as sure these others were “factory”
    I do have the original (not OBP repo) DOM paper label with matching number to what’s shown on fahzeug-auftrag. Another dimension of full matching numbers game. I suppose strictly speaking that’s what the “factory” really supplied in 72/3 attached to keyset by a distinctive plastic clip. Maybe those are the only true “factory” key-ring and all else is an accessory of varying degrees of “factory” blessing
    Last edited by 911MRP; 03-15-2023 at 11:21 PM.

I think this is the most comprehensive thread to this issue…
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...hlight=keyring
    59 750 pre unit triton
    erwin_loves_polo

I can say with 100% confidence that the below key ring was given at the factory in June of '69 and would note that it looks very different to what many believe to be factory keyrings. Like all things with these cars, there is no definitive truth.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

Rick,

I wrote today to Dirk, you never know, what they had in their drawer, which version was just as a give away, or if it was the expensive emaille version. Furtheron we do have all the concessionaries with their versions, the manufacturers in UK, US and elsewhere, the dealers own versions, the fobs, the key pouches…direct marketing and advertisment at its best…

But if we talk about about official documented factory items, we have to acknowledge, that only the one in the factory printed leaflets is „the real deal“.

All the rest are period correct items.

same is with factory luggage… there are a lot of period correct sets, even by the same manufacturer,

same, same, but different.

Intersting would be the stamp on the rear of yours, may we see this?

br
    haul
    59 750 pre unit triton
    erwin_loves_polo

I don’t have a clear view or axe to grind on this subject — agree there were a lot of different versions in circulation some would have been given with cars in period. What dates did the versions that are being held as the only true factory versons first appear in a catalogue and what marking on reverse of them? Can we see one that is being held up as an exemplar of a factory one ideally with full provenance ?

Steve

To be clear, I wasn't asserting that mine is the only variation...just observing that there is quite a bit of variation in the keychains they gave you when picking up at the factory, as this keyring was given by the factory when the car was picked up in June of '69. Maybe because it was a 912, they gave the cheaper version...

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"