Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fender Extensions Prototypes

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    That would have been my dream job!
    mine as well, but with the advent of rapid prototyping the job profile changed a lot(especially in hard modelling) so i moved on...but still a cool trade

question... would this car have a VIN? I'm assuming the owner is Porsche itself but would I count this as an "asset"? Or since it is something "that is not even a prototype" it lacks a VIN, documentation, "inventory" number, etc.?

question... would this car have a VIN? ---- probably yes--maybe not
    I'm assuming the owner is Porsche itself ----who else should have been the owner other than the factory
    but would I count this as an "asset"? ----up to you
    Or since it is something "that is not even a prototype" it lacks a VIN, documentation, "inventory" number, etc.?----it is what it is...and if it still would exist ,and up for sale , it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it

My opinion (worth nothing here) is that Porsche would not have wasted a chassis but instead finished it and gave it a VIN. Possibly one of the 1972 911S 2.7 prototypes since it appears to already be in that development program. The front fenders tossed, and the rear fenders reshaped again with nothing left to trace to this point in time.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I agree with Dave. Also it would have had a factory asset number and therefore probably a vin to tie to it otherwise they couldn’t allocate the expenditure on it in their accounts
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I do not understand the reason for that expression davepp! Since I've been on this forum, you and huhg are those people who have always been helping or with information or with what they "can"... your comment is helpful to me! in response to both. At what time would this vehicle reach the vin? How would your supposed Construction Sheet be? "Never" had the engine and gearbox sticker? Or if you had it, did you have it on outdated or adjusted dates? Maybe this way you could find this vehicle if it exists between 2.7! noting the engine and transmission fit dates? on the other hand, they did not waste chassis but they did crash tests; Is it known what vehicles were used for it? initial chassis? Or did they not have a VIN? I suppose that the crash tests should have an inventory number or were these vehicles given to the agency that did the tests? They have nothing to do with the vehicle but with the question. I must understand that Porsche, some other chassis "if it wasted"? without undercarriage and already being inventoried. How would the sheet of this vehicle be...interesting for sure! But if after this, I go through a major reform to make the chassis functional, should I understand the build sheet of this vehicle will be full of notes? Or would they simply mount it without adding anything to the sheet and release it to the market?
    detail on the hood with the closures... where does this piece come from? of a vehicle, or a warehouse...

Baudett
    The shell would have started with a production number. That would be necessary to begin fabrication, even in the R&D workshops. However such a vehicle is much more likely to have begun its life on the normal production line and then transferred to the R&D area as a rolling shell without engine or gearbox or full trim - like most production car based race cars were. They were then modified and fitted with the correct parts in the race shop or the R&D area

The vin numbers are almost last to be added to a car on the production line so it is possible that at the stage we can see in the photo only a production number would be allocated to the shell (and an inventory number)

So far a crash testing, MOST of the cars used would probably have a vin. It is possible than some only had a production number but the objective of a crash test is to test a fully done car and it is likely that other tests were done with cars before they were destroyed in a crash test. I have seen a number of references to cars destroyed in what were likely to be crash tests and they had vins. However the language used in the documentation is often confusing as similar language is used for cars that are "deconstructed" to check for damage / wear etc after being used as a test car - ie trying to test them on the rough test track (named the "Panzer track") until they break, or accidentally destroyed in other testing. Wording like this is noted against a late 1972 vin number "verschrottet (Crash) lt. HM Versuch 25.10.73" . I dont know if this was a deliberate crash test or an accident while testing a car.

One thing is sure - Porsche in those days was very frugal in the way it operated. It sold ex race cars to factory friends as well as ex R&D cars and even sometimes upgraded old race cars to new specs. I cant see it "wasting" a perfectly good shell that we see in the photos
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

My thoughts exactly Hugh. Usually crash tests were done in advance of the model year to prove the chassis design. This chassis is definitely a 1972 build due to the oil filler door. The very earliest 1972 MY cars did not have the oil door, and a few 1973 cars (prototypes really) did have the oil door. So I do not think this body were the crash test route. Yes, nothing was built without a production order number. If pulled off of the production line early without engine & transmission then likely without a VIN.
    However, once it's duty as a design study was completed, then it could have been recycled and finished as a car for sale. I doubt that the production order would have much to say about it. Some of the 911S 2.7 cars only have the 2.4 engines listed in the production records and on the FA as well so I am told. Many of these special cars are not well documented except in engineering files that may no longer exist or are not accessible.
    Still, this is only educated speculation on my part and I could be totally wrong.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    ... Wording like this is noted against a late 1972 vin number "verschrottet (Crash) lt. HM Versuch 25.10.73" . I dont know if this was a deliberate crash test or an accident while testing a car.
    "verschrottet" does not mean it crashed...it means scraped...

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post

One thing is sure - Porsche in those days was very frugal in the way it operated. It sold ex race cars to factory friends as well as ex R&D cars and even sometimes upgraded old race cars to new specs. I cant see it "wasting" a perfectly good shell that we see in the photos
    i`v owned one of the very first cars that ruf built and homologated as RUF (i.e. ruf automobile as manufacturer written in the title) a early g- body ..it did not have a vin but a production # when ruf got it. after homologation it got a so called TP number stamped in TP stands for Typ Prüfung..
    i`v taken this car apart for restoration and noticed that it has had several funky colours prior it went to ruf --i also found traces of carpets (glued to the inner rockers and rear seat pan )in to me unknown colours and materials(ruf did not spend much time to remove those befor they painted it) so it assume it was used as a colour and trim mule..