Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss

1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss

As some of you may know, I've owned a 1972 Targa in Aubergine since 2017 but never really felt the urge to create a topic for it. At the time I was looking for a nice restored Targa but somehow I ended up buying a project car and having it fully restored. The restoration took more than a year (I thought that was long at the time but have since learned that it's actually not bad) and shortly after I took delivery of the car the engine failed. It needed a full rebuild which was done over the winter 2018/2019. Finally in May 2019, the Targa was mine and ready to go. Of course the whole process took longer and was more expensive than I expected, so that was a lesson learned. Nevertheless, after sorting out the inevitable teething problems I had a lot of fun with it. Drove to the Eiffel, Luxembourg, Belgium, and in 2020 joined the ESR trip to Switzerland / Italy with the Stelvio pass as one of the highlights. In 2021 we went to the French Alps and in 2022 I went to the Scottish Highlands with a friend. All great memories.

Name:  IMG_3721.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  163.0 KB

But, in Scotland I started to realize that the Targa might not be such a great match for me after all. Even though my roof had a very decent fit the wind noise was excessive on the highway, to such an extent that I used earplugs for every trip longer than 15 minutes. On really hot days I sometimes kept the roof on to avoid the heat of the sun (especially when you are waiting for a traffic light); if it's not such a sunny day you often wonder whether it's the right time to take the top off or not. Sometimes, on a perfect road, such as when we descended the Stelvio pass in 2020, everything comes together and it's great; on all other occasions less so. In addition, I had become intrigued by the S cars and especially the 2.2 because time and again, I had read that these were supposed to be the pick of them all: torqueier and easier to live with than the 2.0 and more racy than the 2.4.

Name:  IMG_8106.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  160.4 KB

So in the fall of 2022, I started to look for a 2.2S coupe. There was only one for sale, in Albert Blue, but the seller told me they were fixing a few flaws and they would contact me later. A few months later the car was sold. Then at the end of January, I found an ad for a Light Ivory 2.2S, 9110301624. Originally from Verona, Italy, completely restored by Dutch restorer Rens Ruts in 1998 and featured in a Dutch classics magazine at the time. Only one owner from 1989 (the year it was imported into the Netherlands) until 2018, two more owners after that. And with original Recaro seats (listed on the COA).

The car looked great when I visited the seller. Normally I would never test drive a classic car in winter with salt on the road, but it was a reasonably nice day and I realized it would probably be sold in the spring. I had arranged to drive it to a nearby Porsche center where the mechanic who rebuilt the engine for my Targa now works and asked him to do a PPI. On the test drive I was struck by how well it drove. Everything felt "right" in a way that never really happened in my Targa (even though it drives really well). The panel fit, the steering, the sound, the interior, the smell, the seats. Just the right patina on the gauges. The PPI confirmed that it was completely rust-free. The engine has been out in 2020 and is completely leak-free. (New experience: heater without oil smell.) Everything accident-free and just very nice all around.

When we were doing the PPI I started to wonder "is this really the car for me?" but on the drive back to the seller I fell utterly in love with how it drove. The engine sound and feel is just so different from the 2.4T. And I couldn't believe how nice the coupe is compared to the Targa regarding wind noise. So long story short, we came to an agreement right away and a week later, I picked her up!

Name:  IMG_7831.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  272.9 KB

The 2.2S is now at my local shop for a general service and tune-up. Both my PPI mechanic and I felt that the engine should have been a little more eager around 5500 rpm and up. After examining everything and confirming that it has the S pump and all the right bits (my biggest worry was to buy a car that wasn't a proper S) the conclusion was that it probably needs just some fine-tuning in various places to get where it should be. However, later on the test drive, and on the way home when picking it up, I ran it to 7000 rpm a lot and it seemed to get better and better. Also, I had driven my 996TT on the way to the test drive, and my mechanic had spent the morning working on a Ruf Turbo, so it's also possible our reference was a little bit skewed. I'm curious to hear what the guys at my local shop think.

Engine in full tune or not, it's an absolute blast to drive this 911 and I can't wait to go out for more road trip adventures and document my journey with it here.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Beautiful!

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Outstanding Frederik !!!!
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Nice story congrats on a great find my very first Porsche in the eighties was an'71 E targa , and yes wind noise could be bothersome but the engine noise ! My god heavenly ! Enjoy !
    Bert

Yes , 2.2's can be the most fun . Too bad about the Targa , it should not have been so noisy , my '73 has absolutely no wind noise , but the top has never been removed .

Congratulations Frederik for the 911 in a classic Porsche colour!
    We should ride a few Alpine passes together again (ivory and gold is a wonderful combination ).
    Would you like to show us a photo of the interior?
    Golden greetings
    Andreas

Looking for the engine 6320484
    MY 1972 2.4S Targa
    MY 1973 T with gentle updates
    MY 1988 560 SL
    MY 1965 Giulia Super

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely add more photos later.

And Andreas, that sounds like a great idea! I'm hoping to do a trip to Switzerland later this year, will keep you updated.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Well, congratulations Frederik . . .

. . . looks like you have a wonderful car there --- and I hope you enjoy it. And please keep us posted about your adventures

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    . . . definitely add more photos . . .
    Yes --- LOTs of photos, please . . .

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    . . . I'm hoping to do a trip to Switzerland later this year, will keep you updated.
    . . . especially of places like that!

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Congrats! Looks like a lovely car ...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Great story. Welcome to the club!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439