Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handbrake shooting cold air

Handbrake shooting cold air

hey guys,
    I took a ride out in the cold yesterday and I felt cold air shooting through the E Brake boot in my 71T when I was on the Danish freeway. I don't recall this ever happening before. Does anyone know the source of this cold wind? bizarre.

Fortunately I have heat but this was a lot of cold air.

Also, I’m driving to Scotland for a week of touring with R Gruppe called LochRennan and I will need ample cabin heat.
    Last edited by zenithblue71T; 04-08-2023 at 12:47 AM.
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514
    911T with 2.2S Ps and Cs, Solex grind Cams and PMO 40mm

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    The only thing that comes to mind, is missing or torn rubber cap covering gas heater inlet in the smugglers box.

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    The only thing that comes to mind, is missing or torn rubber cap covering gas heater inlet in the smugglers box.
    Will take a look at that, thanks!
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514

@gled49 Smuggler box sealed up nicely. Any other ideas? @edmayo?

Name:  0ECC84BE-F131-499C-A2AF-E89C376392B8.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  122.5 KB
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514

Maybe the rubber boot that seals the shift shaft on the transmission is torn?

Good to check, those are often torn or missing.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Maybe corrosion under the pedal cluster-it would be obvious looking from underneath. I had corrosion there that went through the sheet metal, but not enough to get air inside

I recall the exterior tranny boot deteriorating. I will Jack up and take pics. That’s the first thing I checked and it seemed in place but I didn’t fully Jack up the car and get under.
    I heard it’s impossible to replace that boot and the mechanic declined the job. But it’s at the back so why would air shoot in from the back? Perhaps negative pressure sucks air in?

I replaced my own pedal cluster 3 years ago and found no corrosion.

Also I will check inside the shift tunnel for the coupler boot. I just had adjustment work done there 6 months after Schonemann rebuilt the 901.

Name:  F2887C2A-6611-47B4-AA52-93B0253D43B7.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  35.9 KB
    Last edited by zenithblue71T; 04-08-2023 at 12:45 AM.
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514

My boot needs replaced also. My plan is to split a boot, then with the split at the top, zip tie the boot in place. Then split a second boot and install it with the split at the bottom. This should work-I hope-and keep any water from getting inside the boot.

Yeah, the tunnel rubber boot was not put back in place. Easy fix! Name:  31D505D4-7A71-461E-8A83-ADD9C151C557.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  239.3 KB
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514