Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Tool VW385 be used for 911/01 Transmissions?

Can Tool VW385 be used for 911/01 Transmissions?

Hi All,

The factory workshop manual for 72+ cars describes how to use the VW385 tool for setting/checking the pinion gear depth for 915 transmissions. It also lists all the specific tools from the VW385 kit that are needed.

My questions:
    1) Can the VW385 be used for setting the pinion gear on 911/01 transmissions, as it's not listed in my 70 Factory Manual?
    2) If so, is there a list of all the required tools from the VW385 kit (similiar to the table in the Factory manual) that lists all the additional tools that required.

Hopefully these questions make sense.

Thanks!

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    The 385 will work on 901’s, 911’s, 915’s, 930’s etc. Given the pinion depth number, you just need whatever pin and pin holder to achieve a little preload on the tool. The tools accessories allowed you to measure from 63mm to +82mm. I just mix and match the pieces to get desired number.

Quote Originally Posted by denniso View Post
    1) Can the VW385 be used for setting the pinion gear on 911/01 transmissions, as it's not listed in my 70 Factory Manual?
    2) If so, is there a list of all the required tools from the VW385 kit (similiar to the table in the Factory manual) that lists all the additional tools that required.
    Dennis, as Gordon said it works on all Porsche 900 series transmissions.
    Since you have the list of tool parts needed for 915 transmissions, they're the same for a 70-71 911/01 with two exceptions.

The /53 contact pin is too long, if using the /14 pin holder. You'll need a pin between 10mm and 12mm long.
    Otherwise, if you have the /13 pin holder you can find a suitable contact pin for that.

The /52 master gauge won't work, unless you can somehow reduce the distance down to the 63mm range.
    There are two fixed gauges in that range, /11 (63.00mm) and /12 (63.50mm), but if you have the Helios /30 micrometer, then the fixed gauges aren't needed.

Also, a dial indicator with a 5mm range will work too.

Hope that helps...

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

A recent photo of my VW385 tool in a '70 914/6 transmission.
    This is essentially the same transmission as a 70-71 911/01, and uses the same tool parts.

Name:  DSCN1046.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  66.1 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Gled, Jon,

Thank you. This forum is awesome with access to your incredible knowledge and expertise. I'm on travel to Tucson this week, so I'll need to check if I have all these additional pieces noted above. My used VW385 came in a large plastic case, but not 100% complete (maybe 90% complete) so I may need to buy some additional items. The info is this thread provides the necessary info that I need.

A couple of follow-up questions, since my set is used:
    - Does the VW385/1 and W385/30 measuring gauge require periodic calibration like a torque wrench or calipers?
    -If so, any recommendations?

Thanks again,
    Dennis

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    If u have gauge blocks calibrate the micrometer to that. I have a 63mm gauge that I double check too. The micrometer is unique, as it incorporates the dimensions of the bar + the 5mm magnetic spacer. It has no connection to the real world otherwise.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by gled49; 03-29-2023 at 12:50 PM.

Dennis, I also check the /30 micrometer against the earlier fixed gauges, as Gordon does.
    I have over thirty of those, from 40mm to 82mm.

Name:  DSCN4956.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  109.1 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Thanks Jon!

Impressive collection of fixed gauges. I'll try calibrating my /30 against my fixed gauge.

Thank you,
    Dennis

VW385 Universal-Meßdorn zur Trieblingseinstellung

Some background on this tool.

It was created by Volkswagen, and introduced in 1970 as the Universal Mandrel for Pinion Adjustment.
    It was adapted by Porsche as an alternative to their own tool, P258, which it soon replaced.

It was first shown for Porsche use in the Workshop Manual 911, Model 72, with an early 915 transmission.
    These Porsche manual pages are dated 1973.

Name:  DSCN4967.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  DSCN4968.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  63.5 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Are you aware of anyone making replacement cams for the VW385 tool?