Thread: SWB Wiper Motor Wiring Question

SWB Wiper Motor Wiring Question

Hello all

I need some help please. I'm assembling my 66 wiper motor (car build Nov 65) and are not sure about the wiring as some of the wire colours on the wiper motor don't match up to the colored wires in the wiring harness. On studying the factory wiring diagram, I think the wiring should be as follows, is this correct ?

53 - Black/Yellow
    53a - Red
    53b - Black/Purple
    31b - Blue
    31 - Brown

Also the wiper motor doesn't seem to be self parking, and just stops as soon as I turn the wipers off, any thoughts ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Name:  Wiper wires.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  64.9 KB
    Phil Harris
    66 911 #302771
    73 911S Targa #9113310679 (sold)
    62 356B Karmann Hardtop #201870

Hi

Just been through the same thing!

This is what I know, other people might know more…..

Red is live, brown is earth, blue to the resistor and the 2 other wires are speed switch’s

It may be in park now “on the bench” you can connect live and earth then jump a live link across to one of the speed connectors this should make the motor move at different speeds.

Mine was full of hard old grease in the gear casing best to open the casing remove and clean (inspect) and replace with white lithium grease. Also ensure the gear shaft moves easily

Good luck
    Ray

Go to Wikipedia and download DIN 72552. 31, direct to Ground, usually a brown wire, although if it is from the switch, it may go to 31b, Ground thru switch (when this wire goes to Ground, the motor is brought to an abrupt halt, to keep it from passing thru the stop circuit. After looking at SL33 schematic, not used on Porsche). The number 53 is used exclusively for Wiper Circuit. 53 is 12 V in, 53a is Limit stop +, 53b is limit stop field. Dont know about the last two, maybe someone else can chime in.
    Bob B
    Last edited by SIMI BOB; 03-30-2023 at 12:45 AM.

My motor looks nothing like yours, but

My Kroon wiring diagram for the complete harness for my 1966 (Nov 65 built 911) has the following:

Red 53A mine is on a condenser attached to motor from condenser is a black wire to 53A
    Black/Purple 53
    Black/Yellow 53B
    Blue 53E
    Brown Ground mine is on the bottom of the panel on a dual spade with a second ground connected as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1966 911 #302694

Hello TOFFYNOSE, SIMI BOB AND DEXTERPIX, thank you all for your comments and advise, I will take the motor apart and re-grease it and then look at the wiring. It looks like I may have 2 of the wires around the wrong way.

Dexterpix - Interesting that our cars are not to far apart (mine is 302771) however our wiper motors are different !! I'm pretty sure mine is still the original unit.

Please feel free to chime in if anyone else can provide assistance.
    Phil Harris
    66 911 #302771

Your wiper motor isn’t swb nor lwb.

It’s typ G 911 the only one available new

Quote Originally Posted by 911SKIWI View Post

Dexterpix - Interesting that our cars are not to far apart (mine is 302771) however our wiper motors are different !! I'm pretty sure mine is still the original unit.

Please feel free to chime in if anyone else can provide assistance.

Thanks for pointing that out J-R, will look up the wiring for the G 911 wiper motor and see what the differences are.
    Phil Harris
    66 911 #302771