Thread: MFI Microswitch - Linkage Interference

MFI Microswitch - Linkage Interference

While adjusting the MFI throttle linkage system end-to-end on my ‘72E for full opening at the butterflies, I discovered that at 90% opening, the actuating lever on LH side (in the microswitch vicinity) comes in contact with the rear wire terminal of the microswitch, stops bout ¼” short of full stroke, and tends to bend the rear wire/terminal junction of the microswitch. The microswitch, bracket, and wiring harness of my car are all original and never been tampered with.

Regardless, I removed the microswitch and rotated the L-shaped rear tegminal 180 degrees (it is attached with a tiny screw) and reinstalled it. This rotation moved the terminal inward by about 3/16”, enough for the linkage to clear the rear terminal/wire and move freely.

Please note that the linkage for '72-'73 cars is different on the earlier MFI cars, and my observation may not apply to the earlier MFIs.
    1972 911E Targa, Mostly Original
    2002 Porsche 996 C4 Cabriolet
    2005 Turbo-converted MINI Cooper S

Sounds like your pump to throttle bar linkage is misadjusted I believe it should be 112mm c-c then adjust linkage to throttle bodies. I ran into this issue before.

Quote Originally Posted by kwikt View Post
    Sounds like your pump to throttle bar linkage is misadjusted I believe it should be 112mm c-c then adjust linkage to throttle bodies. I ran into this issue before.
    Thank you for your suggestion. That linkage is already at 113mm c-c (I believe specs are 112 +/- 0.2mm). I have already worked around this problem and was merely letting others know in case they experience a similar problem. As a whole, my MFI system is running very well; it was just not opening the butterflies 100%. It does now.
    Last edited by Bahman; 04-03-2023 at 05:53 AM.

[QUOTE=Bahman;1149981 That linkage is already at 113mm c-c (I believe specs are 112 +/- 2mm).[/QUOTE]

The pump throttle rod should be 114mm.
    Mark Jung
    MFI Werks
    Early 911S Registry #972
    Carrera T w/LWB, MT, RWS, PCCB
    72 T 66 x 100 MFI Twin Plug Coupe
    R Gruppe #686

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5MFI View Post
    The pump throttle rod should be 114mm.
    I have now adjusted that link to exactly 114mm c-c, but it does not solve the interference I reported in my original post (i.e., interference of the linkage with the rear microswitch terminal/wire at full throttle.)