Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 66 911 wood dash installation question

66 911 wood dash installation question

Hi all

I've had my wooden dash trim restored and are ready to install it but want to know what's the best way to do this? I know there are clips to install on the back from under the dash but have read about 3m double sided foam tape also being used and about others being glued. I see the 67's had their aluminum dash trim glued but I don't think they didn't have any clips. I just wanted to check first what's the correct way to install the trim.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Phil
    Last edited by 911SKIWI; 04-06-2023 at 10:56 PM.
    Phil Harris
    66 911 #302771
    73 911S Targa #9113310679 (sold)
    62 356B Karmann Hardtop #201870

On my '66 coupe, the veneered wood trim sits in an aluminium channel.

The aluminum is fixed to the dash via pins located in the trim. The pins go through the dash and are attached by speed nuts.

The wood is fixed to the trim by double sided foam tape.

If you need photos, I've got plenty.

Stephen
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Hi Stephen

Thanks for that, mine is the same with the veneered wood trim sitting in an aluminum channel.

All my pins are still in place to go through the dash and attached by speed nuts, but I just wondered if there was suppose to be some tape that should go on the back of the aluminum before its mounted to the dash, to maybe take away any vibration before the speed nuts are attached?

Thx
    Phil
    Phil Harris
    66 911 #302771
    73 911S Targa #9113310679 (sold)
    62 356B Karmann Hardtop #201870

Phil, double sided foam tape was still twenty years in the future when your car was new. A consideration to absorb vibration would be to put a "button" of silicone caulking in a couple place between the wood and the aluminum. It would act in the same way as the foam tape, is period correct, and is arguably easier to remove than the foam tape.

Quote Originally Posted by lbpa18 View Post
    Phil, double sided foam tape was still twenty years in the future when your car was new.
    not true...

My dash came out just before the aluminum trim was introduced so would the wood have been adhered directly to the metal dash? That doesn't seem like an ideal situation...
    1965 911

In addition to the clips used behind the dash, they used two thin strips of double sided tape (mounted parallel), one near the top, one near the bottom of each wood section -- at least it was done on the 65-66 cars I've done. I used double sided tape to re-install ... and the clips.
    Last edited by John912; 04-10-2023 at 08:04 AM.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

I’ll go back thru’ my disassembly photos to check …
    Quote Originally Posted by 911SKIWI View Post
    Hi Stephen

Thanks for that, mine is the same with the veneered wood trim sitting in an aluminum channel.

All my pins are still in place to go through the dash and attached by speed nuts, but I just wondered if there was suppose to be some tape that should go on the back of the aluminum before its mounted to the dash, to maybe take away any vibration before the speed nuts are attached?

Thx
    Phil

Member #1616

Absolutely not true!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    not true...

Member #1616

OK, my bad. Ive been of that mindset for a long time. Thanks for the correction fellas. The beauty of forums like this.