Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: British Cars

British Cars

I've had a couple of interesting British cars come my way over the past few years whilst hanging out at an established British car restoration shop. I've seen some of the finest restorations of E-Types and other rarely seen cars like a '57 Lemans 24 AC ACE Bristol. Some of these were brought back from the grave. One was considered too far gone but the owner wouldn't hear of it. It's spectacular now but of course that came at a price. It was a money is no object restoration.

All of these cars are interesting even if I've seen the ugly side of ownership. They're not all bad but many seem to have had bad owners. That seems to be the fate of inexpensive sports cars. All electrical issues I've seen have been the work of ham fisted mechanics or ignorant owners. (Remember, ignorance is curable, stupidity is not)

A couple of superb TR250's and I have crossed paths as well as the TR6, MGB and other Triumphs like a GT6 (SMALL!) and a real favorite, a RHD TR3.

Now an MGA has popped up as has a TR4 with Surrey Top. The TR4 is my favorite of the series. Gionvanni Michelotti did a magnificent job.

Last but not least a very well sorted +4 Morgan.

I'm leaning toward the TR4 just because it has more "wheaties" and offers up a lot of choices when it comes to modifications. The MGA is a classic though and is a tough one to overlook especially since the SO likes it a lot. It's beautiful sitting still.

Up to this point doing nothing has been SOP for these temptations but it may be time.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

This guy is selling some of his own cars too. https://www.gassmanautomotive.com/ca...3-triumph-tr4/
    1969 911S Targa
    1970 911S Coupe
    1973 911T w 3.2
    1972 Alfa GTV 2000

What to make of a mid 60s mini if you can find a clean one ? Have not driven one..

mini 2.jpg

mini 3.jpg

I've had a '59 Frogeye Sprite and a TR3A ... both of which were fun to drive on narrow twisty roads ... both long gone. Always hankered after a TR4 ... GT6 LeMans Fastback would have been fun ...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

60's mini are fun to drive. I've got a 64 Morris Cooper. Won't go that fast but handles as good as anything,
    a great car. Fairly simple to work on. As with everything from the 60's rusts like you wouldn't believe

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    I had several Minis (classic) 850 and 1000 all carbs. Very cool car. One of the coolest I should say. Go and get one, you will always wear a big smile with it. Cheap to maintain.

A Midget MG Blaze 1973 (RWA) also. Small, so fun to drive.

Owned several MGB GT from 1967 to 1973 - still have a 1970 a bit prep for track. I like the body shape of it, and very cool to drive, but a bit "old" even in the 70's. Cheap to maintain and very robust.
    IMG_1470.jpeg
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

My Mini. 1380cc front spoiler and 13" wheels
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kent Olsen
    McMinnville, OR
    72 911 upgraded 3.0L
    RGRUPPE # 104

I restored a '67 MGB back in 1990, then drove it daily for another 4 years. Despite all the Lucas jokes, it never let me down. All stock spec except for the A-arm bushings (MGB-GT V8) and a correct 3-synchro overdrive.

These are the only pics I have in digital format...

mg7.jpg.9dab525ebb22711f9c97f76dc50e86d3.jpg mg8.jpg.a5ea05d2583bd0ee1f699a6db96b9c25.jpg
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Lucas tales were kept at bay...until 3 different things hit on a Spitfire this year, and realize there is some truth to it. Electrical was not right with just 2 plugs firing, but nothing seemed to improve until the distributor shaft was sanded clean for better rotor contact, which made a huge gain, and took the tune to 80%. It became apparent the design of the alt brushes do not wear equally, as greater circle travel occurs on outer part of the contact ring. 25k is the limit on that brush, which the manuals choose to have no mention of..

Lucas Alt slip ring.jpg

OK...So you roped me into a response. I had a 59 MGA in high school. Bought it when I was 14, it didn't run and by the time I got my license I had a nice driver. Learned auto mechanics also.
    Me and one of my high school buddies with the car back in the day

MG ORIGINAL.jpg

Fast forward to today, I still have the car. Back to the original color but with a MGB tranny (synchro 1st) and a slightly warmed over B engine (5 bearings instead of 3)
    Have way too much in it but I have a resto shop so it was fill in work.

IMG_0368.jpg

How many people would like to have their first car back in their garage today/