Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reproduction of origin leather according the former Roser Leder

Lightbulb

Michael,

I still have my original '73 leather sport seat inserts ... My upholster at the time used them as patterns...

He redid my seats about 33 years ago VERY nicely, but incorrectly, with 'vat dyed' Connley leather and inaccurate stitching...

- First pic is during the job, original next to recovered... '1990

- Original inserts

Hope any of this helps,
    cm
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

"Yes you are right, as I mentioned in the beginning : According the former Roser leather"
    I am doing a 1968 Targa.
    Can you sell "yardage" in red with and without the perforations.
    And sense you are addressing these rare items
    Do you have/plan on Elephant hide?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Michael,

I still have my original '73 leather sport seat inserts ... My upholster at the time used them as patterns...

He redid my seats about 33 years ago VERY nicely, but incorrectly, with 'vat dyed' Connley leather and inaccurate stitching...

- First pic is during the job, original next to recovered... '1990

- Original inserts

Hope any of this helps,
    cm
    Hi Chuck,

thank you for the pictures and the informations. I did investigations about the leather since 2018, often torpedoed by Corona. At least I worked with a tannery which was in business relation to the Roser company till the 80th and they knew how Roser worked.
    So together we analized a original sample in regard of sort of tannery and the sort of embossing. It is a vegetable tanned leather with an embossing as near as possible to the original. The surface of the leather is not printed as usual or standard today but sprayed as usually in the 70th, you see this in the deepness of the material. But in the present you can only use the colours, chemicals and solvents according to the environmental protection and with these components it is impossible to get the 100 % appearance of the former production methods. But I believe I am very nearby.

The perforation in 100 % exact. It is a very special perforation in regard of hole size and pattern size and also very, very difficult to find. The way of perforating the leather with the unperforated parts at the beginning and the end of each part does not make it easier.

I have now the black leather and will receive the same leather in beige/tan the next weeks.

@Bob

The 68 leather is complete different to the 72-73 one. I only saw it for the serial seats, there it is not empossed, but also a vegetable tanned leather. I can look what I can do, but the red colour has many variations in that time.

I hope I could commit that is is easy if you want to do it correct.

Michael
    Last edited by 911int; 05-08-2023 at 10:52 AM.

thank you
    i very much understand

Michael did a set for one of my cars; perfection or as close as one can get. The best early seat covers, painstakingly researched and assembled to match originals.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Hi Michael,

Thanks for doing this, very exciting. Will you also be offering the 356 leathers somewhere in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for doing this, very exciting. Will you also be offering the 356 leathers somewhere in the future?
    Hi,

I am not so experienced in 356 leathers but I think is is similar to the comfort seat leather of the 911. As attachement you can see one of my very costy trials which is not usable for 73 spezification ( A good friend of mine was very glad, because now he has origin leather seats in his 1962 Giulietta Sprint ) , but compared with the comfort seats it fits.
    Name:  Roser_Leder_Versuch.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  293.6 KB

It is an unembossed leather with the natural grain, other specification is similar to the 73 leather

Greetings
    Michael

Here you see the result of a 73 sportseat covered with the reproduced leather, with the original bolsters.

Name:  20230602_164138.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  114.1 KB
    Name:  20230602_164158.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  169.2 KB
    Name:  20230602_164225.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  144.6 KB

Cheers
    Michael

So here is the next variation of the 73 leather. In beige already perforated.

Michael

Name:  20231010_154313.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  182.5 KB

Name:  20231010_154328.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  181.8 KB

Name:  20231010_154404.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  182.6 KB

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Very nice with skipped perforation. Have been told for years, it couldn’t be done.
    Attached Images Attached Images