Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: 1972 Oil Filler Cap

WTB: 1972 Oil Filler Cap

I’m restoring a 1972 and I am in need of the one year oil filler cap in very nice to excellent condition. I realize the chances are slim to find one, but hoping someone has one that they are willing to part with. Thanks for looking.

Rick Carlton

I know I have a new one. Just need to look for it in my stash.
    ESR # 2300

Hi Bob, thanks for responding. I would love to see what you have. I am looking for something like the cap in the attached picture.

841040BB-6E40-401B-B587-5B070BC66368.jpeg

I believe mine does not have the embossed OIL stamping and sticker. Let me know if still interested before I go through my stash.
    ESR # 2300

Hi Bob, thanks, I am looking for the cap with the embossed OIL stamping, the sticker would be a bonus. I’ll let you know if I change my mind.

Thanks,
    Rick

Hi Rick

I have one but it is painted black. I suspect the paint could be easily removed with paint thinner. I don't know if the sticker is underneath the paint but I doubt someone would paint over it. If you can use PM me with your email address for details.

TIA

Henry

Hi Nick, thanks for the link to the sticker.

Rick

It's important to note, this cap looks like a lot of others Porsche used, but the '72 is "bayonet" mount and the vast majority of others have a rim mount.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

That’s right. The two details that I know of are the embossed OIL stamping on one side with the other side blank and the bayonet mount into the tank. There may be others that I’m not aware of. Also, with those combined, I believe this was a ‘72 only part, but I could be wrong on that as well.

Thanks,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    It's important to note, this cap looks like a lot of others Porsche used, but the '72 is "bayonet" mount and the vast majority of others have a rim mount.