Thread: 1973 RS homologation stickers

1973 RS homologation stickers

Hi all.

How many 1973 rs still retain there homoligation stickers on the inner door jam

I suspect you are confusing the two stickers denoting type approval of components of the door latch with homologation by the FiA for racing purposes? They are not an RS thing uniquely.

Car door latching components at time were subject to type approval (from memory Regulation 11 and steering 12?) so cars would’ve got a E-sticker denoting compliance — R11 and R12 - where required by the relevant markets. I have not checked the regulation wording but expect the regulation pertains to the strength security and performance in a crash m, more so than about theft. And 12 is wheel is compliant. I assume this regulation didn’t cover the pull strap Vs series internal levers since RS in M471 in Sport configuration were generally road legal in the countries (where RS sold) so even with a simplified lighter pull strap presumably complied with the prevailing R11 door lock regulations of 72/3. Ans wheel is safe.

The two little silver square self adhesive stickers that I suspect the OP refers to do often go missing but are not uniquely relevant to the RS. They appear in non RS to denote R11 /12 compliance. Not particularly pertinent to this models motorsport homologation by FiA in April 73. One is about racing governance the other type approval. I know some of the RS examples that still have got these sticker to show their locking mechanism was R11 compliant like the TES. Also seen in model 72 preceding RS. Didn’t think RS locks were different to the prevailing series door locks in 73 if leave aside how M471 Sport (a few hundred examples) had internal opening mechanisms simplified for weight saving reasons.

To be clear the RS did not to my knowledge get any type if sticker on the body denoting their role in actual homologation of the RS model for racing purposes by the FiA — mores the pity as would’ve reduced some confusion and spin in the RS market about homologation

Homolgation of the RS to make the 911 the factory racing platform in response to FiA CSI rule changes marginalising the 917 was a different thing to whole vehicle type approval and or type approval of some components under UN regulations. Essentially the governing body of world motorsport set rules including the minimum number of examples of a model needed to be made to an identical agreed “homologation specification”. This is published. Within the rules it specifies the minimum number of examples to be made by manufacturers to be allowed to race in certain groups eg most pertinently for RS group 3 or group 4 in season 73. The first 500 and 500 more model year 73 RS examples were built rigorously by Porsche using non standard procssses to that limited edition specification and these were independently weighed to confirm the quantity met the the rule makers 900kg homologation target. I understand the chassis of (around) the first 500 plus 500 more examples were weighed at the Stuttgart town scales the vin # were noted as meeting the 900kg target and the independent tally passed to the FiA as evidence. These 500 plus 500 examples are obviously by the homolgation RS examples by definition.

The stickers confirming the locks comply to R11 is essentially irrelevant to racing homologaton . I’m not aware of these circa 500 plus 500 special RS examples getting any any sticker to denote they are homologation exemplars. Not all RS examples were built to the homologation specification as Porsche issued a memo instructing to stop the costly special homologaton edition build process once homolgation was achieved. It stopped adhering to the homolgation spec by eliminating some special homolgaton parts and also changed the production process, at which point the once limited edition homologation special reverted to being much more like the series cars. Essentially productionized.

Sadly despite the millions of words written many folks fail seem to understand the distinction between the Carrara RS that were built to an exacting weight spec and got weighed / tallied vs this that did not. Perhaps a sticker would have helped identify those RS that really did get counted towards the model’s homolgation ans those that did not! They would have eliminated much misunderstanding. However the little silver squares about locks ans steering safety are not that!

While this reply is not intended to be a explanation of vehicle type approval and the subtleties of 73 RS model hopefully it clarifies a possible misunderstanding before yet more confusion is added to the circa 1000 RS examples they are certifiably the actual homologation specials tallied as proof to the FiA.

If I may I suggest the question could be when did the stickers appear and disappear in each market and as part of that clarify those extant. Mot sure if all markets required this in 72/3? I suspect simple self adhesive squares were a casualty of a respray or got pulled off during cleaning. Pretty sure I’ve seen them in front slam area of some cars — they pertain to door locking but not sure if regulations state where on a shell they should be applied. Door jamb is where I’ve seen mostly.

As always open to be corrected by who are deeply expert on vehicle type approval and RS “experts”

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 05-22-2023 at 03:31 AM.

Thank you.

Great read