Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Option 440 but no radio option?

Option 440 but no radio option?

On a 73 911 was a radio standard? I have option 440 (manual antenna) but no radio number option?
    Would anybody order a car with antenna but no radio?
    Could somebody enlighten me. Thankyou

M440 (a left side antenna, front speakers and noise canceling)
    Name:  Options-1972.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  94.4 KB
    http://early911.pca.org/showthread.php?t =82

um... the truth, now I'm wondering. Is there code 440 and it does not include a radio?
    I have always thought that code 440, apart from the antenna and speaker included the radio.... never stop "learning" in Porsche...
    the listing is for the 1972 model

The antenna was installed even if no radio was. Antenna installation involved removal of the door, so that was already done for you.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

The radio prep was an option and you could choose none, M490 for antenna alone or M440 for antenna, speaker & noise suppression. M441 upgraded M440 to a power antenna.
    If you got a factory installed radio then it would come with either M440 or M441 depending on the option. Example M453 = Blaupunkt Frankfurt US AM/FM with with M440 or M462 = Blaupunkt Frankfurt US AM/FM with M441
    Radios were a high profit margin accessory for the dealers, so a stock order would likely have the radio prep alone and then install a radio to customer's choice. A car custom ordered for a client would more likely choose a factory installed radio.
    Looking at thousands of Kardex and CoA, a factory installed radio was not common at all.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I see that, as Davep indicates, the cost of the radio is outrageous. According to the 1972 sheet, it cost as much as the differential... Truly a brutal price (something I hadn't paid attention to before). And I agree with you, in the few COAs I have seen, very few have indicated a radio. From visual memory, I would say I have only seen one COA that mentions a radio... there might be some more, but do you know why this is the case? Were radios cheaper in the aftermarket? Or if I understand correctly... is the radio left out so that "the dealer" can install it and earn that money? In that case, they would be "original" radios but not included in the COA, even though they cost the same price... Why weren't radios installed from the factory? Who made this decision... the vehicle owner or the factory itself?

thanks for reply hard to imagine not ordering antenna and speaker but no radio hence my curiosity

Maybe it did come with a radio interesting �� thanks

Thanks davep I’ll continue to look into it. So do you think if it did come with a radio it would be in the options list?

Thanks edmayo option 440 also came with a speaker (where was that located? Dash?) would be kind of weird cool to have a antenna and speaker but no radio lol. Maybe a 1 of 1 built like this lol

Thanks _gonbau were retractable seat belts an option number in 73? I believe I have them but they are not mentioned as an option number? I don’t see them on your list either
    Last edited by Grandprix; 05-24-2023 at 04:42 PM.