Thread: correct ignition timing for a 2.4E bored out to 2.7

correct ignition timing for a 2.4E bored out to 2.7

Guys,
    I have a 1973 2.4 E case bored out to 2.7 liters. The spec book says a 2.4 E or S should be timed at 5 degrees after TDC but a 2.7 RS is timed at TDC. So where do I time my 2.7? TDC or 5 degrees after?

Everything else is original: 8.5 compression, vacuum advance carb, MFI pump rebuilt to 2.7

Thanks

Caproader

73 2.7 for fun at the track
    69 912 for fun at the A&W Root Beer Stand

The five retard was for meeting emission standards in the U.S. A 2.7 RS was not legal for U.S. market therefore did not have to meet U.S. idle emission standards. Time it for T.D.C. and if correct idle speed is still met call it done. Even with the five retard as soon as the throttle was opened and vacuum lost the advance jumped right up. Therefore it really had very little impact on performance.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

To answer your question , 5 degrees after , the 2.7 RS has a different distributor and if you get one you could time your engine to TDC .

Ed,

As always, thank you for taking the time and for your help. Top dead center it is.

John

What part don't you understand ? With a US distributor the retard advances 10 degrees off idle , with an RS only 5 degrees , so if you start at TDC with the US distributor the timing will be roughly 5 degrees too advanced all the time .
    Last edited by Richy; 06-05-2023 at 06:30 PM.

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    The five retard was for meeting emission standards in the U.S. A 2.7 RS was not legal for U.S. market therefore did not have to meet U.S. idle emission standards. Time it for T.D.C. and if correct idle speed is still met call it done. Even with the five retard as soon as the throttle was opened and vacuum lost the advance jumped right up. Therefore it really had very little impact on performance.
    Ed, I always time mine at 32 degrees at 5k RPM and just check that it is close at idle, I have the RS distributor too. Is that an acceptable procedure?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Yes, when you do that you pull the vacuum retard line off and check the mechanical advance that way. Checking for full advance is part of the procedure.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

RSTarga ,
    All the E and S advance curves I see show the timing advancing more after 5000 RPM , so no ,a lousy technique ,the timing should be set at 6500 RPM .