Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1969 911E - Motor Question

1969 911E - Motor Mystery

Hi all,

I recently acquired a 1969 911E in Silver Metallic over Black and have been thoroughly enjoying the car. I have an enormous record book dating back to 1971 (from second owner to last) and have been pouring through it. The motor appears to have been gone through at least three times over the last 50 years and I'm trying to understand what exactly I've got. At some point in the 90's it got 73 S heads and S cams, but it was gone through again in 2013.

The car pulls very hard from 5-7k and you can absolutely notice it coming on/off cam (feels almost like turbo lag power delivery).

The case and transmission are indeed numbers matching, but after a bit of investigating and using my trusty boroscope, I've realized this car has K1819n heads. Based on a few grids I've seen floating around, I think these are 72/73 911T heads (they have casting numbers of 911.104.302.OR). These appear to have valve sizes of 46/40 vs the original E heads of 42/38, but the port sizes are smaller. Maybe the heads were ported to match the S port sizes of 36/35?

Is there a "standard recipe" for hot rodding these 2.0 motors that would include these T heads and perhaps S cams? Any other things I can learn about the motor without taking it apart? I've seen reference in the record book of this being a 2.2...

Thanks!

Name:  IMG-5610.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  IMG-5609.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  IMG-5608.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  73.6 KB
    Last edited by Brbrbr; 06-01-2023 at 05:59 AM.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    2.2 for sure, as the heads aren’t comparable with 2.0. Does this still use the fuel injection it came with?

I'd be interested in seeing your paint badge, because the 1969 silver code is unlike any other code found on the badges. This badge is on the left door hinge post.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    2.2 for sure, as the heads aren’t comparable with 2.0. Does this still use the fuel injection it came with?
    Yes - still MFI.

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing your paint badge, because the 1969 silver code is unlike any other code found on the badges. This badge is on the left door hinge post.
    The code is 6851 according to the door tag and COA.

Name:  IMG_5701.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  92.1 KB

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    MFI, ok, is it still using the twin solenoid E injection pump. Pump code and serial numbers on top tell the story. Posable small ports and 2.0E pump could be a good combo. How would u rate the overall performance.

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    MFI, ok, is it still using the twin solenoid E injection pump. Pump code and serial numbers on top tell the story. Posable small ports and 2.0E pump could be a good combo. How would u rate the overall performance.
    Here's a picture of the plate on the MFI pump. It reads:

0408 126 005

Name:  IMG_5724 copy.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  114.0 KB

I'd say it's a relatively slow build to 5k, but once you're there it really moves. Feels strong.

After looking at pump serials, it looks like this is a 2.0 S pump. Can anyone confirm?

If it is indeed an S pump, how would one reconcile that with the T heads? Would 2.2 heads work with the 2.0 S pump?
    Last edited by Brbrbr; 06-02-2023 at 01:41 PM.

005 is a 69S pump I'm pretty sure as my 69S has that pump.
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

Thanks for the photo of the paint badge. The code is correct, but it is not the usual one I see for silver in 1969; possibly due to being a Karmann body. I'd love to know the VIN for reference.
    Just for laughs, look at this thread for the "stranger" but more common 1969 silver code:
    https://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...ode-plate.html
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers