Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 68 break away mirror

68 break away mirror

I have a break away mirror that needs to be rechromed. The base piece does not need to be rechromed and is in great shape.
    Believe it's 68 911/912 only.
    $150 plus postage.
    20230606_105727.jpg20230606_105733.jpg20230606_105739.jpg20230606_105759.jpg

No offense, but what part needs to be rechromed?

Weren't 68 bases painted dull silver? Yours appears to need refinishing, but I'm confused by the 'rechrome' statement.

Again, no offense intended.

Quote Originally Posted by mshaver51 View Post
    No offense, but what part needs to be rechromed?

Weren't 68 bases painted dull silver? Yours appears to need refinishing, but I'm confused by the 'rechrome' statement.

Again, no offense intended.
    No, they were not painted. They have a finish like a subtle media blast (like a 300 grit sandpaper feel) and then plated. I've had a couple now and neither gave me the impression that they were chromed. Plated yes, and definitely NOT painted.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

yes, Michael is correct.
    it is some type of metal finishing.
    the guy is no longer around. but my chrome guy had a menu board of all the different typs of "chroming."
    it is a flat somewhat ruff finish

I'm not sure of the finish. I assumed it would be chrome. I just gave it a light sandblast with light media.

$135 plus postage

all cool from my perspective, and again, no offense intended.

respectfully however, doesn't the finish on that piece seems to require some attention before it is viable?

actualy ..... it is possible this started life as a rubber coated Mercedes mirror..... no?

The material I removed was not rubber coated. It was black spray paint.

68 911L with all original interior. It's identical to the one I have for sale.
    20230608_101300.jpg
    $125 shipped.