Thread: recommendation for onboard video?

recommendation for onboard video?

My search here has not turned up a discussion of onboard video cameras hence this thread. Id like to put a camera on a suction cup near the driver's head to film driving sequences and hear what it sounds like inside the car. Id also like to have a remote microphone that captures the sound of the engine/exhaust from outside. Im sure there is a GoPro setup or something similar. My goal is to see the Tach and Speedo and be able to critique the line chosen on a curvy road or HPDE/Autocross. Ive seen seller's driving videos on BaT that are exactly what Im looking for, and then others that EW clearly not even close. Do any of you have experience here or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    Lew

member #1515
    I've recently been down this road with a go pro hero . A suction with a goose neck too. Ok results, but if you want sound you'll need the media case for the go pro + a remote mic. All in around $1k for a nice setup. Best places for me were the drivers window and passenger window for instrument views without old fart in the film!
    If you want a view of corner approaches I'ld mount it outside on the hood or low on the windshield. The suction cup is very strong.
    Last edited by RSTarga; 06-09-2023 at 07:38 PM.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I am not that satisfied with my gopro hero9 black.
    It has the newest firmware and hangs sometimes which is totally annoying when you recognize that you missed filming a stint. Also the included software is pretty crappy.
    A friend has a DJI and imo it's far better than the gopro.
    I'd go dji
    PS I can also link some video if needed
    Last edited by uai; 06-10-2023 at 03:08 AM.

I use a gopro hero 8 black, with a roll bar mount in both of my coupes (which have roll bars...) and a suction cup mount in my targa which I've affixed to the targa glass and it has worked well. I've also used a mount that attaches to headrest bars and sort of floats between the two seats. I much prefer the suction cup mount though - and lots of people use the suction cup mount on the passenger window.

The media mod case is a must add, and I've found the remote is very handy too. You'd need that if you do an external mic, but I've found the external mic is overkill and frankly, the sound gets clipped anyway. Get a few extra batteries too - they have extra strength ones now that are better in cold weather if you ever film skiing.

You'll also need to tweak the exposure settings to something like -2EV, otherwise the track will be washed out. There are videos on youtube explaining how to shoot DE with your gopro.

If you want a permanent solution, I use a garmin catalyst as my camera in my dedicated track car, but you won't get video of the cockpit - just the hood (the camera mounts behind the rearview mirror). I am a big fan of the catalyst for its simplicity.

PM me and I'll send links to some of the videos I've shot on youtube, or I've put a few on instagram too.
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"