Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1971 911S: Correct Seat Belt Set-Up. All the goodies.

1971 911S: Correct Seat Belt Set-Up. All the goodies.

Hi Guys, I always get such great help when I get myself into a corner, working on my '71 911S.
    I'm wondering if anybody has photos of the complete seat belt set up for the '71 911? I'm guessing
    an "S" is no different from from any other 911 from 1971? Guess that would be my first question. ha

Any photos would be so greatly appreciated. Which/what bolts washers etc... I'm going to have to
    piece together some parts and belts I'm missing. Want to also make sure what I have, is correct. ;o)
    Thanks much!

All US 71 MY got the same belts unless one got the optional automatic retracting front belts. Otherwise they are the fixed, three point REPA. Also there were two different lengths of receiver tongues (comfort vs sports).

71 used the same early red button receivers. That didn’t change until 72 MY. Depending on your build month, you could have either 70 or 71 dated tags on the belts.

Rear belts were the same style. Search through the for sale adds. Lots of reference pics.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

The are different receivers between sports seats and the std comfort seats There are also some L shaped angled brackets and some short special bolts to hold the receivers to the brackets

What seats do you have? And if you have sports seats, do they have the proper seat brackets that have built in brackets?

Thanks, Rick

Quote Originally Posted by stephers View Post
    The are different receivers between sports seats and the std comfort seats There are also some L shaped angled brackets and some short special bolts to hold the receivers to the brackets

What seats do you have? And if you have sports seats, do they have the proper seat brackets that have built in brackets?

Thanks, Rick
    I have the sport seats with tilting and sliding brackets.

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    To my knowledge the 69-71 sportseat frames do not have the enlarged mounting point for the receiver. Using the long receiver you can't swivel the receiver like on the 72/73 frames. Receivers on the 69-71 frames are mounted on the outside of the mounting point, while 72/73 on the inside. Bit cryptical, I will see if I can find some pictures to clarify. If you post a picture of the frames, receiver side then it will be come a bit clearer.

Cees

In calendar 72 cars in some markets still got three point seatbelts where the anchor on the short end with receiver was material. Certainly the case up to around December 1972 ir MY 73. Im referring to markets outside North America. Elsewhere on this forum I have previously posted the legislation that began to apply during calendar 1973 that required seatbelts to permit single landed fastsneing ans push button unlatching. I suppose is what ushered in the belts with mounts that were solid and affixed to frames in these markets. While I haven’t seen tests belts that were fabric all three ends mounted directly to the chassis ( tunnel ans inner sill/rocker) instinctively seem a more sensible solution as it didn’t require the seat to remain locked. Belts were to threaded mounts on chassis. Possibly this concern ushered in the double locker — not ideal if the base lock failed. In promaitong actual use of belts I see how single handed operation would promoate wearing belt as the shirt ends always go awol! Early RS in some markets got static three point belts with the cloth at all
    points; later RS got the belt mechanism affixed to seat rail. Iirc the Lego stick. IIRC was about springtime ( April 73) with the legislations so about same time the homologation of 500 plus 500 more RS being approved by FiA. After homologation was certified I suppose the RS could adopt whatever was series solution for anchoring of belts. My genuine calendar 72 built RS doesn’t have the seat mounted receivers— it uses the earlier system located in tunnel and inner sill ( rocker) but that might be due to British market cars complying with the BSAU seatbelt anchorage legislation.

Steve

Cees, See attached. Slightly later than OP. Regulatory changes affecting some markets can give insight into spec evolution. While I don’t know for sure as I was a kid at time I suspect this regulation is why we see some markets adopt a seatbelt receiver of a different type affixed to the seat frame, rather than the earlier three point static parts that had fabric end direct to the chassis and why see a release /catch of different design for receivers.

When I worked in an OEM I was very fortunate there were knowledgable skilled people in the the engineering and operations teams who managed many the evolving vehicle and market regulatory compliance and configuration matters very diligently:

Name:  F5CA3666-B323-4F69-96A0-5FA89FCCE833.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  133.2 KB

Not sure which market car first delivered, not all country markets got factory repa.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-14-2023 at 01:54 PM.

Steve,

What company produced the belts in your car and do you think the Irish RS we have spoken about would have been delivered the same?

Clyde
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by Nickm View Post
    I have the sport seats with tilting and sliding brackets.
    This is what my belts look like. I assuming that (of course) these are the front seat belts.
    Just missing the latch pieces. If anyone has a photo of what the latch piece should look like.
    That would be awesome. I don't want to buy the wrong ones. I also have the black metal L
    bracket that attaches to the seat, that the belt latch bolt to. But would love to see photos.

I have one complete rear seat belt (dated 1970). Will need another, if anyone knows of one. ;o)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hmm I didn't think the L bracket is used except on comfort seats.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6