Thread: Oil leak at oil line

Oil leak at oil line

Finally figured out where the oil was leaking from. You can see in the close up photo where some oil is leaking at the inside fitting where the fitting meets the sealing ring. I have tightened these up until they wonít move - although itís not easy when they are installed in the engine bay to get enough leverage without feeling like you will break something.

I guess my only choice is to remove that fitting and replace the sealing ring and try again. One question / is there any type of sealant or otherwise that I could use on the threads ?

Name:  IMG_3011.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  121.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_3012.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  113.0 KB
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I just rebuilt a 70 console and thermostat. I applied the thinest film of 574 to the seal ring only and installed fittings one at a time to super clean contact surfaces. I’m expecting no leaks. I’m not a glueber but these things are old enough to take every precaution. Once in the car any remaining seeping at junctions, you can at least counter hold fittings to tighten the nuts on the piping. I also use optimoly on all the fitting interfaces and threads.

Permatex 59214 high temperature thread sealant. It not difficult to remove later, is oil and gas resistant, and it works. Doesn't take much.
    - 1969 911T Ossi Blue #3981

If you do happen to disassemble that fitting from the aluminum console you might consider some sort of sanding block on that seal seat to insure flatness.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks all. Will take apart and reinstall

Removed the fitting. I see I have two different washers. One is flat and one rounded. The sealing ring is PorscheG90012301130. Could I use the rounded one for a better seal ?

Name:  IMG_3016.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  61.2 KB

member #1515
    That sure looks like it is made for a round seal. I think a copper sealing ring would be easier to seat.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

That fitting is odd, it is supposed to be a flat aluminum ring, but there sure doesn't appear to be a seat for it.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Those fittings are unusual because they are for the nut and ferrel pipes. The Alu seal rings are correct, the only round crush rings are used on the pressure relief screw cap. (Usually copper).

Contacted Brad. Replaced all the washers and reset everything. I did use a small amount of Permatex on the threads. Tightened everything up and no more leaks.