Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1972 915, some cars with 73 Shifter?

1972 915, some cars with 73 Shifter?

Looking for the expert knowledge. I have a 72T with the big boot shifter that was standard in 73. Lots of originality in the car with low miles and it was sold as matching numbers engine and trans by European Collectibles, but I haven’t checked the transmission number. My understanding is some late 72s came with that bigger shifter and boot; you see them occasionally for sale. Can anyone confirm? This goes against the Dr’s book on 72 transmissions that look like the older 901 shifters. Knowledgeable thoughts appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 72targa; 09-07-2023 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Photo rotation
    ——————
    Member #: 3701
    1972 911TE

I guess a good question would be your VIN ... Just how late is your '72 ?
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Hi Chuck. 9112101124; 2/1/1972; transmission number 323991 all per COA.
    ——————
    1972 911TE

Quote Originally Posted by Damgliam View Post
    My understanding is some late 72s came with that bigger shifter and boot; you see them occasionally for sale. Can anyone confirm?
    According to Porsche, it was introduced with the 1973 models.

Name:  DSCN5724.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  42.1 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

are there instructions to install the updated shift lever. I would like to update my shifter

Quote Originally Posted by 72t4tom View Post
    are there instructions to install the updated shift lever. I would like to update my shifter
    The factory manuals have very detailed information on both the '72 and '73 model gear shift assemblies.
    A search of the forum might also find discussions of personal update experiences.

Name:  DSCN5729.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  62.6 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Unless you've had control of that from new delivery you don't know if it got changed after production. And it could have been done at the dealership. Having worked at dealerships then I can tell you that if a customer liked the beige interior better and there was one on the lot, and the salesman was determined to make a sale that day,,,,,,welllll
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

member #1515
    There is a 72 T on BAT now, 2239, that also has the later housing.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Your's was probably updated. Enjoy it as it's a much better shifter. I'll sell you an original 72 shifter you could keep on the shelf.
    72S, 72T now ST

Thanks, all. Yes, it shifts better, agree Scott (no need on shifter, I am happy). Thanks, David just saw that listing also. Non original color / repaint and later VIN with no production date on COA. I think only way to verify is talk to someone who has one that is one-owner unmodified, like a 70-71 aluminum decklid. Sounds like it could have been recommended as a dealer upgrade one year out. No selling listing ever mentions it as a mod / upgrade.
    ——————
    1972 911TE