Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 911 ST

Quote Originally Posted by 928cs View Post

To my eye...what the F22 might have in relative interior simplicity, it more than makes up for with exterior body cruft and a complete lack of aesthetic balance.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 5.56.26 AM.jpg
    - 1969 911T Ossi Blue #3981

Quote Originally Posted by TheTorch View Post
    To my eye...what the F22 might have in relative interior simplicity, it more than makes up for with exterior body cruft and a complete lack of aesthetic balance.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 5.56.26 AM.jpg
    This is the kind of car that you can only judge when you see it in the middle of the regular traffic. You will never see it from this angle, by example.
    1.1m high, 4m long and 1.9 wide.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTorch View Post
    Appealing to the car Gods, if they are out there. Things have gone pretty far out to sea, and hyped in the name of performance vs. basic design goals.

1600.jpg
    Last edited by 62S-R-S; 12-12-2023 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 62S-R-S View Post
    Sports purpose cars today seem to require longer sloped windscreen angle...trouble imo is that it leads to accommodating a deep, long top of the dash, which from there gives an impression of 'bulk' in the cabin. The original upright angle helped offset bulk to a minimum.
    the annoying issue that you see the apex only through the side windows of modern cars is the reason RUF stayed basically with the 964 Layout of frontsceen for his current hi-tech carbon tub cars.

Would of been nice if they had done some s/t early style flares to differentiate between the other models (early orange hood crest on it in video I just watched tho)
    S Registry#2021

Quote Originally Posted by mrar View Post
    Would of been nice if they had done some s/t early style flares to differentiate between the other models (early orange hood crest on it in video I just watched tho)
    I agree with this and have said this many times to my friend/customers. All new 911's all look the same for the most part. I was hoping the new ST would have better flares at least. The new Porsches are amazing with the grip, speed and braking ability's but the best compliments of the Hot Rods I build come from my friends who own the new Porsches and they always say the 72 ST we've built them is their favorite car to drive. Another reason why I say own an old one and a new one if you're financially inclined. I almost twice have bought a Carrera T but I'm staying with the 72.
    72S, 72T now ST

A Friend was able to place an order on the new ST - so his 992 GT3 Touring will have to go when the ST arrives.
    So if someone's looking for a 992 GT3 Touring PDK Achatgrau/Black with less than 4000kms - let me know

. . . Un-useable?

For all the amazing performance on offer in any of the latest/greatest/fastest/whatever cars --- not just in Porsche . . . I always wonder

20, 30, 50 years from now?

How will any of the exotic plastics and composites hold up?

And who will do the repairs and supply any replacement bits when they wear, unravel, or (gulp!) bounce off of something?

And --- most of all? . . .

. . . who's gonna bother (if they even know how) to twiddle-around with all that fancy-schmancy sophisticated software that makes all the electronic thiss and super-duper thats work --- when this stuff gets old

Short Version: old plastic + antique software = ? . . .

Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Article from December https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/911-gt3-rs

Today I read the hard copy follow-up article in the current edition that is referred to. Intriguing the precise figure given for the number of permutations possible in the vehicle setup that is in the follow-up I read today. Figure given was large number for effect by the author (but it was not the likes with few presets choices of old it seems). If the more recent follow-up article comes out on www I’ll post that link as it will give more on the specifics of the capabilities than the more generic road test in the link

In professional motorsport like F1 it takes whole teams and career drivers to dial a car in to the ever changing conditions of a track. While the GT3 RS is a production road racer far removed from bespoke F1 race car in the pinnacle formula of FIA it begs questions such as:
    - What can the average purchaser get from such granular technology in this GT3RS?
    - Would the typical buyer if the GT3 RS have the driving skills, feel together with the technical understanding of the effect of what was being changed on each adjustment to genuinely exploit the thousands plus combinations it gives to them?

I forget the figure quoted in today’s article — the precise number of available permutations on the GT3RS system however it was over a thousand available from the driver’s seat. Whatever the large number of permutations it’s working around the base default setting signed-off for production by the development process and hopefully foolproof and ease of use.

So… is it…
    - Genuinely useful to have this level of tech as this on a high-end Porsche ?
    - Or it this level of granularity and the vast number of permutations a gimmick on a Porsche car for those members of the public who can meet the criteria to be allowed to buy one of the GT3RS so equipped?

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-18-2024 at 12:12 AM.

member #1515
    Steve, I remember Harvey Postelwaithe 's F1 Wolf. All he had was a tach for instrumentation. His theory being, that in a 90 minute GP if something broke, it was over anyway.
    I see the new F1 cars with so many controls available and the racing is not better. Of course they have more time to fiddle, since most of the race is spent on coast mode. We only see the true capability in qualifying.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs