Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: And another non-Porsche project - 1974 Capri V6

Brings back good memories. I bought one new in , I think, '73. Same silver over black V6. Kept it only 12-18 months as I became infatuated with a 2002tii. I don't remember all that plumbing under the hood though.
    Tom

Another milestone - the Capri is now registered and road legal. First time in almost 15 years.

The drive across town went well, up until it didn't. The engine, transmission and brakes all work well. Suspension is very soft up front, really need to get some new struts soon.

Got the paperwork completed, and went to start it for the drive home, and the only ignition key broke off in the ignition. Since none of the lower dash parts are in place yet, I was able to remove the steering lock from the column and quickly hot wire it to get home. Annoying, but not horrible. I've got the broken key extracted now, and I'm working to get the key code to have a couple new keys cut.

Still pretty good feeling to have it registered...

IMG_4927.jpg
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

super cool! is there enough paint to run some clay over the body and rough polish it?

You are an amazing mechanic, Arne!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by brookedale091462 View Post
    super cool! is there enough paint to run some clay over the body and rough polish it?
    Nope. Not even close.
    - Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

This past month brought a nasty ice storm (almost 2 ½" accumulated on the ground), new parts, new plans, and even a new tool. Let's begin.

First, working under this (and other) car(s) is going to be a lot easier with the delivery of a set of QuickJacks. Not sure why I waited so long on these, but that's sometimes how I roll. Saved $500 by getting an 'open-box' set direct from QuickJack. Going to be a nice help on this and future projects.

1705899023_img_4950_mmthumb.jpg

Past that, new OE-type strut inserts from the UK are installed, and have restored the ride and handling to a nice, original feel. I did find that the internal steering rack bushing is bad, and will replace that as soon as the part arrives. Otherwise the suspension is pretty well under control.

A small shipment from Denmark brought a left quarter window trim and a used turn signal switch. Both parts are extremely nice, and the turn signal finally cancels reliably, every time, either direction.

Still waiting for a final quote on the paint, the shop had some computer issues last week that have set him behind.

But in preparation for that, I've re-worked my schedule and plans. I was planning to drop the oil pan for new gaskets and clean the engine from years of oil leaks, but it sounds like the paint shop may want the car within a couple of weeks. So I don't think I want to pull the engine apart just yet.

Related to that, I think the engine cleaning and resealing is going to go a bit farther than I had originally planned. The farther I dig into this car, the more it looks like (with no way to confirm) that the 76k on the odometer might be original and correct. I'm reasonably comfortable that it hasn't rolled over yet. Which means that I'm fairly sure the original and notorious fiber timing gear has probably not been replaced. So the oil pan drop will be expanded to include pulling the timing cover, and most likely the replacement of the gears. Will probably replace the water pump as well, as long as I have it off anyway.

So today, in preparation for the upcoming repaint, I removed the entire heater-A/C box from the car. This is a rather major project on the '74 factory A/C cars. But it had to be done as the entire system (including the cowl plenum) is stuffed full of leaves, pine needles and other related junk that must be cleaned from the cowl before it can be painted. Will begin cleaning out all the crud tomorrow.

IMG_4967.jpg

IMG_4970.jpg
    Last edited by Arne; 02-03-2024 at 06:24 PM.
    - Arne

beautiful old capri 1 - congratulations! The factory tuning program at the time called for scheel seats. If you want to convert to Scheel, I still have two original folding brackets from that time for capri 1 here. I could give these away for little money. Recaros fit there too. Have fun with the car...
    regards uwe

The Capri goes in for paint a week from next Monday. Final trim and glass removal is in progress.

- Arne

Arne, this very cheaply made and rather cheesy tv programme about the Ford Capri aired on “ Men and Motors” TV channel a couple of decades ago — while a bit cringeworthy you might enjoy a few gems from it like original footage of the launch of the Capri at a motor show in late 60s

https://youtu.be/Hq4d5brxBGo

Steve

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100