Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door Handle Trigger Slipping / Not Catching

Door Handle Trigger Slipping / Not Catching

Hi Everyone:

My Karmann 71T has had an intermittent issue with the driver door handle.

At times, when I unlock the door and pull the trigger … nothing happens. The trigger works (actuates). It just doesn’t open the door.

To get in, I have to cycle the lock (locked to unlocked) multiple times until the trigger catches and the door pops open.

What is the consensus on the likely culprit? I know I have to remove the door panel, but would like to have the replacement part (or fix) at the ready when I do.

Thanks in advance.

not the greatest fan of tele diagnosis but it sounds like something is bent(door lock mechanism) and no spare is needed just adjusting ....

or maybe the 3 screws that bolt the mechanism to the door corpus came loose...

Same was happening with my car, ended up being worn mechanism and small circlip missing.(see the images side by side if you look close you can see no clip on top one. See small white arrow showing where clip should be in single image)
    Replaced mechanism.
    Could be something else but gives you some direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    S Registry#2021

Quote Originally Posted by mrar View Post
    Same was happening with my car, ended up being worn mechanism and small circlip missing.(see the images side by side if you look close you can see no clip on top one. See small white arrow showing where clip should be in single image)
    Replaced mechanism.
    Could be something else but gives you some direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    not the greatest fan of tele diagnosis but it sounds like something is bent(door lock mechanism) and no spare is needed just adjusting ....

or maybe the 3 screws that bolt the mechanism to the door corpus came loose...
    This is very helpful. Thank you, gentlemen.

One additional clue: The door lock pin seems to slip and/or has some play. It acts like it wants to fall down from the unlocked to the locked position. In fact, when it is pulled up (unlocked by hand), it moves down towards locked slightly when released. Locking the door with the key from the outside requires very, very little effort. It feels like this is related. What say you?

Mrar: If I end up needing a new mechanism, would you be so kind as to share the part number / official name of the part you purchased and the source? It would be nice to have this handy, just in case.

Thanks again!

Check the operation of the handle, it self. You have what is called a "innie". You can search that word on this forum. Those are prone to failure and the pin will not contact the lock properly. Take the handle off the door and check it.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Check the operation of the handle, it self. You have what is called a "innie". You can search that word on this forum. Those are prone to failure and the pin will not contact the lock properly. Take the handle off the door and check it.

Regards

Jim
    Thanks, Jim. Very helpful. I found a good thread in which you detail the inner workings (no pun intended) of the handle. Link: https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ighlight=innie

In your experience, will a bad outer door handle cause the door opening mechanism to exhibit the symptoms above? It seems like there is definitely a "disconnect" somewhere in the linkage. I thought the floppy door lock pin (on the upper door trim rail) was a good clue.

If it is just a door handle, that will allow me to switch back to the horizontal lock 1970 handle. My car has a vertical lock on the driver; horizontal on the passenger. :-/

I’m guessing your driver door handle has already been replaced if it is the vertical lock style. I don’t think there are any horizontal versions available as it was short lived, I believe 1970 only. I have been passively looking for years for a drivers side horizontal for my 1970 and it seems like only passenger side is sometimes available as it didn’t see as much use.

Video demonstrating the differences between the passenger and driver interior door lock:

https://youtube.com/shorts/fWfYWpwib...IqwXLeudDaFtfb

Quote Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
    Thanks, Jim. Very helpful. I found a good thread in which you detail the inner workings (no pun intended) of the handle. Link: https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ighlight=innie

In your experience, will a bad outer door handle cause the door opening mechanism to exhibit the symptoms above? It seems like there is definitely a "disconnect" somewhere in the linkage. I thought the floppy door lock pin (on the upper door trim rail) was a good clue.

If it is just a door handle, that will allow me to switch back to the horizontal lock 1970 handle. My car has a vertical lock on the driver; horizontal on the passenger. :-/
    It could very well be the handle.

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    There is no such thing as a left or right 69-73 doorhandle. If you look closely inside the grip of the handle (not possible when mounted), you see the PET number ....061/062.00. 1 is left side, 2 right side so each handle had the option to be left or right. It is only the magnesium (?) L or R actuator piece that is screwed onto the key cylinder that is different orientated for L or R.

Regards,
    Cees
    Last edited by fourteenten; 11-08-2023 at 11:56 PM.