Thread: Marelli S112 BX in my 1966 911

Marelli S112 BX in my 1966 911

Finally shaking this car down after it's been hibernating from PO for far too many years. Has been driving very strong and smooth aside from the issues yesterday.

During a few hundred miles of hard driving yesterday, I started to get some spluttering and hesitations during hard acceleration and high RPMs. Car finally died, and had to tow it back to LA.

I was tempted to think this was a fueling issue, but I decided to inspect the points, distributor, etc.

I found the points in bad condition and an extremely stiff/sticky shaft on the S112 BX in my car. It was also quite dry around the shaft.

I was planning to rebuild this distributor and send off to a shop to test it. I wanted to keep the car stock as possible. But now I've realized this is not correct for the car anyway.

I am also considering the 123 route without a CDI box. Or rebuilding what was in there.

Any ideas why one would swap this out versus the original Boscsh -- any other reasons I should be considering? Im still running non-CDI, but the PO has an aftermarket coil. Aside from a receipt for high-dome S pistons 9.8:1 2.0 liter, I think the car is in stock configuration. It should still have Solex cams in here, but I do not know how to tell.

Here are some photos.

Attachment 608092Attachment 608093Attachment 608094Attachment 608095

Also strange that my BX has the condenser attached, whereas I thought the AX model was for non-CDI cars. This car may have at one point (seen via old photos) had an MSD box installed, but was reverted to be more stock ("looking").