Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alfa Brembo Calipers...what hubs?

Alfa Brembo Calipers...what hubs?

Hi All,

So I've been working some new parts onto my 66 911 and thought it was a good time to fit the Brembo Alfa callipers as part of the swap. I got everything fitted up okay with new vented brake discs (on my original hubs). The car is on a real set of American Racing torque thrust mags. There's no clearance between the wheel and the calliper at all. So, I grabbed some stock steels I have to see if the wheel was a problem. The stock steel doesn't clear it either. I know it's supposed to be a plug and play swap. Is there a difference between the solid disc hub and the vented hub which is causing my fit issue? I know others are using these with no issue?

Many thanks
    David

If I remember correctly the 65-66's and maybe the 67's like my car had the 40 mm hubs. You can run a 5 to 7 mm spacer or go to the 47 mm hub from either 67 or for sure 68. When I had the Alfa Brembo's on my car I stayed with 40 mm hubs, 5 mm spacers, and 6 inch Fuchs. What is the width and offset of the American Racing wheels? I still run 5've all around. I like the 40's as it gives me a little room to play with out board. The 47's take that away. I've since gone to non S Boxster Brembo's and 42 mm piston custom calipers in the rear to keep the 1.6 bias for a huge upgrade. I don't remember if I had to shim the Alfa's to center the rotors, but I had to shim the Boxster calipers outboard 1 mm to get things perfect. I went from a 19 mm to a 20.64 mm master for a perfect pedal feel. The Alfa's didn't require a master change.
    Here are some pictures of the Alfa's. If I recall I had to trim the dust shields.
    Oh, and I installed 908?, 909?, or 910? quick release pad pins just for fun. Some light machining involved. They are NLA.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 12-30-2023 at 01:38 PM.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Thanks for your input Chris, I'd read you'd been using these too. I think the 47mm hub might be a winner. You wouldn't happen to know if that hub is part number 901 341 065 09?

Not sure on the number. I might have a set, I'll look. I'm sure someone here has a spare set. Post on WTB.
    Yikes! I think you'll want a nice used set.
    https://www.stoddard.com/901-341-065-09.html.html
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

as I have the alfa front and the PMB rear converted caliper I use 10mm spacers front and rear to keep the wheel alignement.
    5 1/2 steelies do fit. fuchs should do easily, too.
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

I wouldn’t worry about part numbers, just actual hub measurements. I have them on my 914. I used 69-73 hubs and they bolted right up with 15” cookies and Fuchs.
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.

I've had a measure up today. The American Racing wheel will clear the calliper with the original 40mm hub and a 15mm spacer or probably a 10mm spacer on a 47mm hub with corresponding studs to match.

A couple of quick questions:

Haul, are you using the 40mm or 47mm hubs with your 10mm spacers?

Mepstein, I don't really know anything about 914 strut / hub combos. Are they like 911 LWB struts?

Many thanks
    David

If you give me the overall width of the American Racing wheel edge to edge, the offset in mm's or the backspacing to the inside edge, I can usually figure all this stuff out. A picture of the backside would help also. 15 and 16 inch by 6 Fuchs have a 36mm offset. As you can see on the chart, the 5.5 and 6 inch Fuchs have the same backspace. With my Alfa's and Boxster Brembo's I use a 5 mm spacer on the 40 mm hub. I run 16's for better tire choices.
    The 5.5 Fuchs have a 42 mm offset. Porsche just added a 1/2 inch to the outside of the wheel to go to 6 by 36 mm offset.
    On the next POLO car I'm building I had an extra 1/2 inch added to the inside to go back to the perfect 42 mm offset.
    Think 5.5 Fuchs with a 1/2 inch added to both sides.

I posted these pictures, hopefully to help with your project.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 01-01-2024 at 01:02 PM.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Schläfer View Post
    I've had a measure up today. The American Racing wheel will clear the calliper with the original 40mm hub and a 15mm spacer or probably a 10mm spacer on a 47mm hub with corresponding studs to match.

Mepstein, I don't really know anything about 914 strut / hub combos. Are they like 911 LWB struts?

Many thanks
    David
    Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I put 911 LWB front suspension on my 914 and used the Alfa calipers instead of M calipers.
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Schläfer View Post

I have the standard 65 set up - all stock, no change....
    https://www.912bbs.org/forum/threads...s.52406/page-2
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo