Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1972 911 Windshield Replacement Query

1972 911 Windshield Replacement Query

My 52-year-old windshield is still in decent condition but now that I’m back to driving my car regularly, I’m betting it’s only a matter of time before it cracks and will need to be replaced (my daily driver Subaru is on its second replacement windshield). What am I in for when it needs to be replaced? Any suggestions and advice welcome!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

But one from your local Porsche dealer. About $600-700.
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.

If you just want a windshield, get it from the dealer. If you want something a shade more authentic, get the Sigla branded one from SMC. Same price as the dealer stock. That's what I did.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Yes SMC.....
    Just got one with the SIGLA bug
    I got 15% off by clicking thru an ad on this site
    So the ads are cool
    sometimes...........

Much appreciated advice. How about the rubber seal and metal trim? Should both of those be expected to be successfully saved and reused?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Do a search, much written about this. New seal definitely needed, problem is finding right one as "OEM" is uncertain and many suppliers use authentic looking packaging and fill it with crap. Look for seals with distinctively-formed four corners. Not sure if 72 has black trim, if decent (unlikely after 50+ years?) use it. If new, pre-shape it to opening to help ease installation. In fact, I would not replace glass until needed. It can be difficult -- and frustrating -- if doing it yourself. Patience is key.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

if the rubber is still good
    you can slowly/carfully fold in the seal edge inside the car starting at the top of windshield
    then down both sides
    then lift out
    dont worry about the bottom /cowl it will lift out

I use the "Snap Back Test" for windshield molding rubber to see if it is good or not.. If one lifts an edge and it snaps back, I regard it as good. If the return is slow or lazy, I would replace it.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

member #1515
    Pilkington Classic makes the Sigla windshields, get the Porsche rubber NOT OEM.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    Pilkington Classic makes the Sigla windshields, get the Porsche rubber NOT OEM.
    For years I went to my local Porsche dealer to obtain the seals for peace of mind, to know what I was getting -- they were always the real deal until the last batch -- rubbish, even though the stickers were original Porsche, the seals were not, they did not have the pronounced profile at each of the four corners. I happen to have an original set in inventory, but not sure where I would get the real deal anymore....
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid