Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1972 911 Windshield Replacement Query

Unfortunately John we just encountered the same problem. Dealer supplied, used to be no brainer, discovered it didn't have formed corners when laid on floor. Had to get something aftermarket to get the formed seal that's necessary for proper fit.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    My 52-year-old windshield is still in decent condition but now that I’m back to driving my car regularly, I’m betting it’s only a matter of time before it cracks and will need to be replaced (my daily driver Subaru is on its second replacement windshield). What am I in for when it needs to be replaced? Any suggestions and advice welcome!
    Pete if the trim fits and isn't debris blasted you might want to consider reusing. If you get new trim it WILL have to formed to windshield opening, it will arrive bent! If reusing old trim the trick is to remove it without touching it. I set the windshield assembly on a milk crate, inside of glass facing down. Carefully pull the seal back from the trim without touching or pulling on the trim. Then whether using new or old trim you must set the trim in the windshield opening and verify that the trim fits the opening exactly. That stuff bends when you just look at it. Get the trim perfect and you're likely to have good install. The rubber seal is NOT going to make the trim conform to the opening.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thank you all! I may be expecting too much, but any videos out there on this topic?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    Thank you all! I may be expecting too much, but any videos out there on this topic?
    Here are a few I have from my files:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3FY9pM3SGE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8z3hPM2Zd0s

Thread from 912 - helpful
    https://www.912bbs.org/forum/threads...r.44917/page-2

Thread from 911S helpful
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ld-seals/page3
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Mikes video is great
    he makes a tool for fishing the rubber over the flange
    But.... hear is THE best tool for this'
    I have had this tool for more than 45 years
    It is Snap-On with a patentName:  DSCN1786[1].jpg
Views: 127
Size:  64.9 KB # 20171

Love this board. Will keep this post bookmarked. Hope it will be helpful to others!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100