Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another pedal cluster question

Another pedal cluster question

When I change my clutch cable, I observed it was very very close to the tunnel when attached to the pedal.

I observed also a big difference on the positioning of the 2 bolts of the pedal cluster :

Name:  IMG_7008.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  167.3 KB

I have no idea if the 2 other bolts, which are only accessible from under the car, are also adjustable in order to be able to move the pedal cluster a little bit from left to right ?
    Like that :

Name:  IMG_7008 2.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  119.7 KB

That would give me the right clearance !

There is really no designed in adjustment side to side, only fore and aft. before those two nuts you pictured are tightened the master cylinder is installed and as its mounting nuts are tightened it will pull the pedal cluster tight against the bulkhead, then the back two nuts are tightened.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    There is really no designed in adjustment side to side, only fore and aft. before those two nuts you pictured are tightened the master cylinder is installed and as its mounting nuts are tightened it will pull the pedal cluster tight against the bulkhead, then the back two nuts are tightened.
    Ok thanks Ed, anyway I have to replace my bushings so I will see what's going on behind that pedal cluster !

I've replaced my bushings on my 69's E.

But now I'm not sure my clutch pedal shaft lenght is good ?

Name:  IMG_7117.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  108.5 KB

I was not able to install the spacer (item 33)...and I have not enough clearance between the clutch cable and the tunnel.

Name:  Capture d’écran 2024-04-10 à 05.30.42.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  64.5 KB
    Last edited by SFE; 04-09-2024 at 09:21 PM.

I'm wondering if the 2 studs are in the right place ?

Name:  dc6a86fa-d20b-4e31-b460-ccf6339ec23c.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  190.2 KB

The spacer was not used in 69. The clutch shaft changed in 70, then the spacer was used. It dorsn't look like the floor has been changed.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

From my 69 experience, it's darn tight getting the cluster back in and getting the brake master rod installed. It helps to release the bolts holding the master cylinder so you can get the extra wiggle room.
    - 1969 911T Ossi Blue #3981

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    The spacer was not used in 69. The clutch shaft changed in 70, then the spacer was used. It dorsn't look like the floor has been changed.
    OK, so I have the right mounting
    Floor has been changed back in 2018, I cut out the stud holes to have more room for adjustment and now I have room for the throttle and clutch cables to go through the tunnel...

Name:  IMG_7126.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  167.2 KB

Ahhh, that would explain it, from my experience when I'm dealing with a known floor replacement all bets are off. For example I once struggled to get full throttle on a 356 until I realized they had made the floor too high when it was replaced, had to do some hammer work to get full throttle.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Unfortunately, even with the new bushings, there is still some play on the right side exit axle. The pedal cluster must be ovalized on the right side exit hole.

https://youtube.com/shorts/8MdpXeIooNc?feature=share

Is this an acceptable play ?