Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camber plate front strut

thback

camber plate front strut

WHat options are there to replace/refurbish the front camber plate? The Porsche parts manual shows the plate, rubber and grommet as one part, but I suppose the rubber can be replaced separately?

Reason for this question is the Automotion/Performance Products catalog, page 28 Weltmeister "Camber plate retro fit kit". It explains that the camber plates are not included, meaning that you can separate the rubber/grommet from the camber plate...?

Or is the option just to buy a new camber plate from Porsche?
    (no (carrera?) updates with stiffer rubbers?).

Tom

911SRegistry

camber plate front strut

Tom,
    Thanks for the pointer to the PP catalog. This appears to be a step between the factory camber plate and the full spherical bearing piece.

Other than a factory replacement, I'm not aware of any factory-equivalent rubber piece. It seems like both of these aftermarket parts will make suspension geometry more precise and consistent for a track-type car at the expense of steering harshness and noise.

Maybe others with real-world expereince can assist.

Sherwood

Paragon Products
    New Koni inserts will include replacement rubber bushings for the stock camber plate.

Jason Burkett
    Paragon Products

thback

camber plate front strut

Hi Jason,
    Not doubting your know-how, but don't think you've got that right.

The Koni inserts will not include new rubber bushings for the camber plates themselves. The part is not separately available (funny enough). The shock inserts will include a rubber sleeve which fits between the top of the insert/shock and the underside of the camber plate.

I was (and still am) wondering how PP can offer a rubber insert for the camber plates for circuit use, and not offer a "mild" version for street.

Thanks
    Tom

Paragon Products
    thback, the Koni inserts will indeed include new bushings for the camber plates. The stock design is not available separately because it's hour glass shaped and my guess is that it is vulcanized in place. Koni's approach is to give you two donut shaped bushings...one goes under the camber plate and one on top. They're held together with a steel sleeve through which the shock shaft passes.

Jason Burkett
    Paragon Products

Roland Kunz

camber plate front strut

Hello

Those rubber bushings are needed for the pre 68 cars.

Those cars had a fixed upper strut point in the dome.

Adjustment is done on the a-arm to strut joint.

Grüsse

Paragon Products

Camber Plate Front Strut

Roland, I'll have to look at the early inserts (68 and earlier) to see if they're included, but they're definitely included in all of the 911 Koni inserts for applications all the way through 1989. We get quite a few calls asking what they're for.

Jason Burkett
    Paragon Products

thback

camber plate front strut

Checked with Koni, they don't supply camber plate rubbers with their shocks. The rubbers they do offer are for the mounting of the shock. Maybe our definition of "camber plate rubber" is different here?

Tom

Paragon Products
    No, same definition. I promise they're in they're in there...I just looked as we have them in stock. I'll be happy to take a picture or send you some if you like. Included with Koni inserts is:

Koni Insert
    Gland Nut to hold insert into housing
    Bump Rubber
    Bushings for Camber Plates with steel tube to hold the two pieces together
    Big Washers
    Small Washers (flexible)
    Nut

Jason Burkett
    Paragon Products
    www.paragon-products.com

thback

camber plate front strut

Hi Jason, it would be great to receive a pic; Koni insists they don't offer the camber plate rubbers with them!
    My E-mail is back@wxs.nl

Thanks!
    Tom