Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Through the grill fog lights

Rick Cabell

Re: lights

Schmidt- I have discovered why I have been Questioning the 914 light lens retrofit. I guess I have never had my hands on a yankee set. I currently have 3 sets of grill lights. one NOS (part#911 631 202 0), and two used sets. Inside the bezel they all measure Exactly 120mm. One of the used sets has a very pitted lense,the other is cracked(two pieces). The markings on the used sets are E1(in a circle)4571. The NOS set is marked E4(in a circle) 934. I tried 914 lenses and they were a tad to small. Now I know why,all my lights are Euro! I think I will start A search with my german connections as I now know what I am looking for. You stated that the euro bezel and the yankee bezel are 10mm different in diameter,does that mean that the chrome housing(bucket) are the same? BTW, Where did you attend Porsche College? It appears that you went on and got your masters!

schmidt

Re: lights

Yes you have the ROW white fog lamps. I have had no luck finding any replacement lens for the fog light, or the driving light in yellow glass or white. If you look on your NOS set of lights you may notice what I found on several NOS late production lights of mine, there is not gasket between the lens and the reflector, the lens is glued to the reflector and would be a bitch to remove. An earlier set of Yellow fogs that I have, have the gasket, and the clips that hold the lens to the reflector. If you can find any of the 120mm lens, fog or driving, clear or yellow, buy everyone you can. As for the buckets they are all the same Euro, Yankee, and Italian for H1. After breaking a lens and not being able to replace such and odd ball I use a 150mm version of the Hella type 118, it requires the use of special built chrome grills with perforations moved to outside and a different mounting bracket. These lights are identical in every way to the 120mm just larger at 150mm they work better and lenses are obtainable. I will never use the 120mm light on any of my cars again. Email me if you find any of these spare lenses of any style.
    jurgenschmidtwerkgmbh@msn.com

heirplane

Through the grill lights

Jurgen, I have wanted a set of throught the grill fog lights (preferably driving lights) since I acquired my '73S back in '93. I intend to keep my car for the rest of my life (I confirmed with my wife that it would only leave the family through an estate sale.) I mentioned on another string on this site that Stoddard Porsche advertised complete Hella 118 sets about five years ago, with horn grill, wiring harness and switch. Of course, living on the West coast, my Panorama arrived about a week after Stoddard sold out. Those sets were priced at about $230. Now, on the Pelican parts site someone is asking $1100 for a new set, $800 for a used set! I did not purchase my car for speculation, and thus cannot justify such an insane cost.
    Do you know of any alternatives to the Hella 118 that would fit through the grill? Thank you.
    Steve

Rick Cabell

Re: Through the grill lights

schmidt has a good solution. Hella lights that are 118 style,but 150mm diameter. make your own brackets,and cut out your own horn grills. Much more functional than the original 110mm 118 hella lights. For a fraction of the price. This might not be the set up for a PCA national concours,but what is more important, detailed perfection, or PCA perfection?

heirplane

Through the grill fog lights

Thanks, Rick. I'll take function anytime. Another thing my wife and I agreed was that the car would be a driver rather than a show queen (not that there's anything wrong with that). Do you know of the model number and a source for the 150mm lights? Also, it was my understanding that in '73, with the black horn grills, the factory cut off two ribs to accomodate the 118s rather than casting a special grill as was done with the previous chrome versions.

pwd72s
    Man, all this makes me wonder why anybody wanted thru the grille lites in the first place? Anyway, guys..consider the date of this posting, then a little tale told to me by a military veteran: Understandably, the Japanese are a little "sensitive" about nuke weapons. So, during this friend's time stationed in Japan, it was understandable that whenever a nuke weapons or nuke powered US craft entered Toyoko Bay, the local demonstrators came out...in
    force. The military guards were well trained in the tactics of the demonstrators, that the demonstrators would learn phonically USA slang and cuss words, etc. DEspite all this training, one US military guard snapped during one of these protests. To put it mildly, he beat the krap out of one of the protesters. Seems the Japanese protestor had tried every insult he was taught..he questioned the guard's parentage, descibed the guard's mother's sexual habits, and so on. None of this rattled the guard...like one of the guards in London, eyes straight ahead, ramrod posture, he obeyed orders. What made him snap? About to give up in frustration, the protestor, as he was turning to leave, said: "YANKEE GO HOME!" As the guard (from Macon, GA.)
    explained to his sueriors: "NOBODY calls me a Yankee!"

Watch your terms here, guys. And remember the date when you read somebody's "apology" on the general message board. I mean, "yankee lites"...like they are sub standard? Gosh....I'm offended, even if it's true...

Rick Cabell
    Sorry if you were offended! Schimdt started it!

schmidt
    Paul the US version YANKEE lights are nothing more than non-functional fluff, it uses a 35 watt bulb. Ill tell you what, you put me at the top of your list on your last will and testament for your rig and Ill give you a set of correct Euro NOS lights, besides their is no one who wants it more. There are lots of little YANKEE variations that were done to cars for export that really take away from the car. Hey Paul do you still have those sealed beams for headlamps on your car?

schmidt
    Hey HEIRPLANE email me at JURGENSCHMIDTWERK@MSN.COM and I will give you additional info on what my recomendation is.

pwd72s

yankee sealed beams

well, I did become "impure" with my car when I installed those H-1 headlamps. Guess that's why I have to agree that the USA equipment fog lights are a couple of candles. But yes, I still do have the original USA equipment sealed beam equipment, stored away in the boxes the H-1's came in. Still have the USA equipment tail & parking light lenses, and the original bumperettes. But, as one east coast PCA bigwig told me at the '78 pea-raid concours, my car is "improper". First time I'd heard that term, and it sure stuck with me. To me, "proper" is when the car is set up as it's owner wanted it to be. I mean, we all understand "cool" and "uncool", but I never heard of "improper" until 1978. I do regret selling my original seats and wheels, tho. Just an old fart's advice guys, never sell anything, unless you are 110% sure you'll never want it again. Yeah, I have a yankee car...just think the european look is cool...My will? Think I will take it with me, have the car & myself cremated at the same time...ashes dumped at sea? Jeff...I hope to outlive you. So I can coax your silver beauty away from your widow!

Boy, I'm sure glad we straightened out the differences between yankee and R.O.W. through the grille lights tho.
    Many kudos to Schmidt for his doing so. Think I'll keep the candles on my car. After all, I don't drive that much at night or in the fog, and I can still buy replacement lenses.