Thread: Was the body "schutz" applied over the bare metal?

Was the body "schutz" applied over the bare metal?

Or was the body primed first? What about Wurth SKS Schutz over new galvy parts w/o primer?

Yes, over bare metal, after the body was masked in certain spots. In SWB cars you see this in the trunk-- masking was applied to certain areas, then the schutz sprayed on, then a coat of satin black applied.

You'd see the primer under the schutz as it was coming off if the inverse was true. Also, if the cars had been primed first, the steel would have held up better-- usually in SWB cars you have a thin layer of R U S T between the schutz and the steel-- which wouldn't be so acute everywhere if a primer had been applied.

Of course that rust layer is what makes it possible to sandblast the schutz off an SWB fairly easily. On the LWB, the schutz adheres much better and it must be removed with the Wuerth undercoating removal tool, a much more time intensive process.

Don't forget that certain cars had a galvanized floor pan, try to save it if you can.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

hate to disagree but after stripping my car to bare metal by hand
    with a propane torch i am certain the lwb cars were in black primer under the off white schutz.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Hi,

In case a pic helps.

This is a 70S rear inner wing. You can see the black primer (etch) under the sprayable sealer.

We have used several processes to remove the original underseal from shells but if removing by hand before any blasting (which will not remove underseal) heat works best.

HTH

Alan

I just use a good aerosol primer, the important part is to use a primer, I don't think it matters much what brand or whether it's shot from a spray gun or an aerosol can.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Also keep in mind that the SKS is water based so if you spray it on bare metal without primer you may have rust form under the SKS.

Best regards,

Brad
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

I have sprayed my tub with epoxy primer. Will the Stone Guard stick to it or will I need to scuff it? The stuff is so stone it is almost like Teflon. The seam sealer I applied does not stick that well and it usually sticks to everything.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Mark I use a red scotchbrite to scuff cured epoxy before laying layers of anything else.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    Mark I use a red scotchbrite to scuff cured epoxy before laying layers of anything else.
    Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Just more work, but it must be done correctly or not at all. Thanks
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"