Greetings all,

I'm expering a problem with my '73S, if anyone can offer some advice it would be most appreciated. Since purchasing the car a few months ago, I've noticed that smoke will eminate from the engine compartment after shutting the car down at times...usually when I've been stuck in traffic and the temp gauge reads around 220. Well, the smoke isn't really the problem...I've accepted that it's not uncommon for the car and problably not a concern.

What I am worried about is the rear body (license) panel and surrounding sheet metal. While these components always feel hot after shutting the car down, I attributed this to its proximity to the muffler. Howerver, I've noticed that the all-rubber bumper guards are actually beginning to melt where they meet the sheet metal.

The temp gauge has never registered over 230 (usually 205-215) and I seem to remember reading that the car doesn't mind temps as high as 250.

I have been advised that a heat shield would take care of the problem, but considering that this hasn't appeared to have been a problem in the car's history, a heat shield seems like a "band aid" fix.

Any ideas???

Thanx & best regards,
Tony