Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: solid chain tensioners or Pressure fed??

t150r
    MIT research fellow 79-80.

pwd72s
    Andy..I wouldn't worry about pressure tensioners in your car. Were the little braces placed on your oil lines? Those seem to be a big help. I'm not familiar with the metric gauges, mine a USA equipment car. But, FYI, when crusing to the R Gruppe Cambria meet, through California's sweltering central valley, at 4,000 RPM, my oil temp was at 215, briefly went to 220 (f.)
    Pressure stayed pretty constant, around 60-65. (I assume this PSI?) I use Mobil 1, 15-50. Again, just my experience. But if your pressure tensioners were installed recently, tensioners should be well down on your worries list. I apologize for my earlier error. It seems donkeys DO go to college. Prestige ones at that!

Roland Kunz
    Helllo

Yes the PFU hit slight on the pressure. But the amount depends on some influences.

The chances for falures are given with both units. The PFU are not so critical if they fail and the benefits from the PFU are maybe worth the money alone.

But if the fundamentals are not in the engine you have to renew the PFU more often then on a newer PFU friendly machine.

The quest is will they hold longer under same circumstances on a old engine ?
    My feeling says on a good maintained engine; Yes. On a bad maintained engine or under race situations; No.

Now, renewing the PFU is the same time invest then the 930 units but the material effort is some 100% higher.

In my sight it is a bad investment on a old worn out and missused engine.

Like said people jump on that and you could sale a car with a PFU unit much better then a normal engine.
    Doesn´t matter how good the internal condition was, the PFU boostet the engines value even if the oil pressure was to low ( See the PFU cost some pressure ) and the pistons did clonck like a old tractor ( Normal noise ) or the rocker arms had to much play on the now oval shaft.
    So the 1000$ investment did pay back for car salers.
    And the thing is the replaced old units anyhow should have to be replaced sooner or later. So the people did save on that anyhow but later had to renew the more expensive PFU.

Oilpressure on idle is totaly unimportant, if it will show 0,1 it is ok.
    Just use the old ballpark 1/2 rev' at 100°C.
    Oil pressure is a thing that can be an other new thread.
    In fact Porsche 911 do not need pressure they need volume. And as Porsche moved the pressure pick up points, some other things jump in that in too, you shouldn´t be scared about low pressure.
    To high pressure is more killing.

But sort out the problem. Sounds more like a "hanging" sender unit. Very comon on the late 75 on units and the newer 5 bar units. They also will show 0,5 bar if you turn the ignition on.

MIT ? one off my friends had been there too. Seems to be a good "college". He worked for Bose to finance his MIT time ( he made the system for accustic mesurments with speakers hanging in a dead room using the computer stuff to calculate soundfields, I think Minsky showed him how to program them ).
    Bose still sends him new speakers if he ask for.

Now It would be my time to prove my background, but I´m to lazy on that as I would have to write a book. I never was in a scool with a MIT reputation but the WMS in Heibronn is very solid ( www.wms-hn.de ). In fact Audi and Mercedes are siting at the doors to invite the studends and offer job opportunities. The WMS school is a more practical orientatet school. You make your technican thre and if your french or latinum isn´t to good you can compensate with other things.

I just try to put some informations from my side on this board. Most of them are on a normal playfield as they descripe the facts.
    But some are based on my view or just developed from the things I know. I never had the time to do or learn all, my strenght is to overlook new situations and use the fundamentals to master them.

I also try not to "show off" but I allways seem to get into things where I have to go deeper and write more then usuall would have to be done.

Now there are different grades in answers. The first is very direct and trys to focus on the subject. For example the wireloom for the license light.

A other way is to show the backgrounds so people can understand a bit more and make there desicion. Like here.

Sometimes the input is unstructured to work and I don´t like to work in a wrong direction.

Also there are some things where I have to work trough the problem and try to organize the trouble shooting. No thread here jet but you will find some on Pelican or Rennlist.

Mostly the feedback is in my mailbox and not on the board but I can say that over 50% hit the nail and a other 25% very close to the nail. The rest maybe wasn´t direct helpfull but people like to see any suport and it also crossed out some possibilitys. It is good to know that some supicious parts can be circled out.

And some topics are just warning as I see that people without knowledge run into problems or give bad advises that are not worth to be on a board. Sometimes I do overreact and show to drastic pictures ( scaring tactics ).
    Sometimes i fall into the basic lection mode.

Some think it is snoby or "to involved". Yeah, should mind my buisiness. If it goes on like that I will be one from the most known germans in the staates. Computer age has own rules working out.

ON all Porsche oil temperature gauge is the middle between the top and botoom the optimum temperature. I just say allways if the needle is "straight".

The support braces came in 88 after Porsche had seen some failures on very hot driven 3,2. The thing was that the heat from the exhaust plus the vibration could loose the lower ring end on the unit.
    Also there had been fine cracks in the line if the mechanics bended them while installation ( Aftermarked retrofits or at the renewing from the oil lines ).

The braces are not a must but they are not a to big investment to prevent a "cheap" failure.
    The failures didn´t ocure in the first 3-4 years witch equals some 50-80 000 mls in germany and I would say 10% of that had been full load blasts on the highway.

Well I hope to see some really nice MIT based input from t150r. There will still be enough to come to show his merrits.

And Donkeys are very clever and friendly animals. If I see how much work I invest on such boards I would fall into the same category. OK if you overload a donkey he will not move and german donkeys are used like ponys so I never had to do with a "bad" donkey. But donkeys are small animals that can load much more then other animals with biger size. They are slow but consistent and go there way.

Grüsse from wildlife in Stuttgart Zoo

t150r
    I wrote a paper on urban transportation, Planning and Architecture Dept.. If you have any questions concerning bus routing as it pertains to density, income, crime etc., I'll be happy to help you.

pwd72s
    We'll get back to you on that.

cegerer
    "MIT research fellow 79-80"

What's MIT?

Curt J. Egerer, P.E.
    Licensed Professional Engineer

mwalker09
    Thanks for your comments. I'm going to try the solid tensioners on this motor, Motor builders advice. I'll let you know if they are noisy, and if I have to adjust them often.

pwd72s
    Good luck with the solid tensioners. Hope they work well for you. Keep us posted, okay?

MIT Hmmmm. Isn't that German for "with"? Like, "Big Mac, MIT fries & coke."?

heirplane

Re: solid chain tensioners or pressure fed

MIT? Guess he couldn't get into a real school like Cal Tech. But upon reflection, Cal Tech probably doesn't have a bus routing department....