Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any battery mounting ideas?

PNW 73S

Any battery mounting ideas?

Greetings all,

The non-original battery tray in my '73S isn't looking too healthy these days, nor is the single 12V battery. I'm trying to decide whether to replace the battery with another single 12V, except a sealed deep-cycle...or...do a retro-original install with a pair of compact 12V sealed batteries mounted in the original battery boxes for better weight distribution and less clutter in the luggage compartment. Any thoughts?

There are tons of compact sealed 12V batterys out there now...I'm looking at some (SVR) that are designed for car audio applications. I even thought about 12V motorcycle batteries...light, compact and relatively inexpensive.

Shouldn't be too difficult to mount dual batteries in the original boxes, but if I go with a single battery I still don't have a way to mount it. Does anyone have any pictures of their own battery tray/hold-down/bracket, or advice on the topic?

Thanx,
    Tony

pwd72s
    Tony, were you aware that Sonnenschein, a German battery Mfgr., makes Gel-cells that are EXACT size replacements for the original twin batteries? They are $pendy little devils, but are an exact fit. The sonnenschein dryfit, it's called Number on the box is #A-200, then another number that may or may not be a part number: 081-90640. You may have to do some inquiring with battery specialty places. I found a battery dealer in Albany, Oregon willing to get them for me. A set lasts me about 7 years...and NO more corrosion or gas worries!

PNW 73S
    No, thanx...I wasn't aware of the Sonnenschein. So how do you have them mounted in the battery boxes? I'm not familiar with the way the OE batterys were installed from the factory. By the way, what did the Sonnenschein batteries set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

I found a website with specs for the 081-90640. It listed the dimensions as 8.3"L x 6.9"W x 6.9"H...sounds like they would fit the boxes like a glove.

Tony

pwd72s
    That's it Tony, they fit the boxes exacly like a glove...and the original factory clamps, tie downs, cables, all work as original. The advantages of gel-cell technology are obvious. The only disadvantage is that they can't take a heavy charge like the old lead/acid batteries can. When using a battery charger, you'd want to use the lower (under 15 amps) settings. I usually charge mine at the 2 amp maintain setting on my sears charger. To get the parts to convert back to stock, check the usual parts souces...I haven't done a search, but I've found on many items if Pelican parts doesn't stock it, they'll get it for you. Assuming it's available. I forget the actual price I paid for the Sonnenscheins, but I think it was around $175 each? Don't hold me to this though. If you could, I'd appreciate the website you found them at...never hurts to have more than one source handy...

PNW 73S
    Unfortunately the website I found is from a New Zealand-based company and probably won't be very helpful as a backup.

Regarding the original factory clamps, tie downs, etc....I'm not familiar with the manner in which the original batteries were mounted...aside from them being in the battery boxes, of course. I don't suppose you have any pics of yours (or anyone else's for that matter) on-line, do ya?

I've looked on-line for some articles related to the dual 6V to dual 12V conversion, but haven't had much luck....any suggestions?

Thanks a heap,
    Tony

pwd72s
    Tony, you might try the Pelican Parts 911 Technical board. There are lots of guys with digital cameras, scanners, etc. Afraid I have none of those here. I can remember seeing a parts diagram for the set up, know I have it around here somewhere...but do you think I can find it??? Of course not. Perhaps a dealership may have a diagram, and supply the parts? Basically, the positive cable connecting both batteries runs from side to side behind the gas tank. Your original may still be there, because few people bothered to remove it when converting to one battery. Ground straps are the braided copper type, each battery has it's own. The batteries are held in the boxes with cam levered metal straps. A pretty simple set-up, really. To get to the Pelican parts board, the home page is: www.pelicanparts.com You might also try the mega dealers..Stoddards, Brumos, etc. And I'll keep looking for that diagram..if I find it, I could photocopy & snail mail it to you.

Chuck Miller

> Re: Any battery mounting ideas?

Tony,
    Send me an e-mail (I'm on the contact page.) Will scan the page from the 73' parts manual and send it to ya.

Still haven't figured out how to do it on our site...

Chuck

pwd72s

Re: > Re: Any battery mounting ideas?

Thanks Chuck...I found an exploded view of the clamping system & ground straps in a '99 Stoddard's catalog. Would be willing to photocopy & snail mail. I'm betting that what you have is better, tho.

PNW 73S

Thanks for the help guys!

PWD72S - I'll have a look at Chuck's diagram first, and if it doesn't tell me what I'm looking for, I'll let you know. Thanks for offering to mail the diagram!

Chuck - I sent an e-mail to you for the scanned diagram. Thank you for going to the trouble.

Will keep you guys in the loop on how I proceed. I'm still leaning towards dual 12V batts, just not sure which ones yet.

All the best,
    Tony

pwd72s

Tony, I have to admit I like the dual battery thing. It was done for weight distribution, bit I always did like the idea of two batteries. One dies first, the other kicks in to get you started until you can replace both. Makes sense to me...