Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any battery mounting ideas?

heirplane

Batteries

Sorry, Paul. Seems the twin batteries sacrifice efficiency as the quid pro quo for, as you said, weight distribution. Remember, we're talking about folks that strive for lightness by deleting glove compartment doors. In the 9+ years I've had my early S, the stock batteries have never impressed for either longevity or cranking power.

Found out tonight that Auto Zone may be a good source for reasonably priced Optima batteries. Seems the specialty stores and auto sound stores charge well over $150. Auto Zone's prices, at least in L.A., start at about $108. Of course, being 10" long, it's a good bit longer than stock, and will still necessitate relocation.

bulldog
    Check out www.batteryweb.com "for all your battery needs" as they say. They carry the Sonnenshein and Dave and Randy are very helpful. As a bonus to us south Floridians, they're located in Sunrise, a Ft Lauderdale suburb.
    Jack

pwd72s
    Thanks Jack...a great tip! Heirplane, I've been there, done that with the Optima. I'm running Optima in both of our Detroit Iron. BTW, optima makes a smaller battery than standard, for the Corvette. We've been running one in Cindy's little Ford Ranger for quite some time now. It's model number is 75/35-925. Still, for the 911, I just prefer the stock battery size, that doesn't have to be on it's side, sticking out into the trunk area. Personal choice, really, because when I ran the optima it functioned well...

bulldog
    We use the Optima in the 914/6 and Range Rover. But it sounds like the Sonnenshein is the way to go for early 911. I just ordered two of 'em. Thanks for the tip, Paul!
    Jack

PNW 73S
    pwd72s - I just realized I never posted the other site with the SONNENSCHEIN battery info. Sorry 'bout that.
    www.ptech.co.nz/battery/sonnena2.html

I have to agree with you about the dual batteries, at least as far as street driven cars are concerned. Personally, until I have a dedicated track car, I'm more concerned with reliability than dropping 20lbs. For that matter, that extra 20lbs over the front wheels may come in handy during the rainy months here in Seattle.

Best regards,
    Tony

pwd72s
    GUys, hope you find the sonnenscheins to work as well as I did! I'll admit, should drive the car more, but usually an overnight trickle charge at 2 amps on my Sears battery charger (auto shut-off model) brings 'em right back up...I just hook the charger leads to the passenger side battery, thinking it should charge both, considering they are permanently cabled together to produce 12V....Jack? I figure it never hurts to do a bit of price comparison. The Florida price on these?

bulldog
    Paul, I honestly forgot the price quote. When I pick 'em up I'll let you know what I paid. I do remember that the price was fairly stunning, so these babies had better last a good long while!

Jack