Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: that old chestnut, 7inch rims

bulldog

Thanks, Paul...

...for the tip on the R wheels. That could have been a REAL expensive mistake. (But I wonder if they'd work on the back of the /6?)

Jack

pwd72s

Re: Thanks, Paul...

Will R wheels clear on a 914-6? Boy, afraid I don't have a clue. Sorry...

thback

7x15 R rims

Hi guys, just wanted to correct something on the R-rims; The factory strongly recommends using 22mm. spacers with these deep dish rims.
    The ET/Off-set of the R-rim is 49mm., (which means heart of the wheel more to the outside/flanges more to the inside) with the 21mm. spacer, the total distance will be 28mm.

I wonder if, with these spacers, it will not be possible to mount R-rims on "forward oiltank" models. Paul, do you have any comment?

Tom

thback

7x15 R rims

sorry, talking about 22mm. spacers here. Mr. R. Wells (in person) has a lot of experience with use of the R-rims. Maybe he can shed a light. Am interested, since I want to use them on the rear (but have a '73 coupe).
    Tom

pwd72s

Re: 7x15 R rims

Tom? Sorry I didn't reply sooner...but I believe R wheels, with proper spacers, the size of which I haven't a clue, should work on a '73 in the rear. But I heard from a good authority that the '72's has a fitment problem with the R wheels, a conflict with one of the oil lines...senior moment happening here, can't remember which "proper authority"...

a911s

R wheels on a '72

Hi Thom, sorry to have not replied earlier. I have fit the 7x15 R wheel on the rear of my '72 S with the following tires mounted at different times: 225/45 Hoosiers, 225/50 old R-1s and 222/50 RE71s. For all but the Hoosiers, I have found you need to do all of the following to avoid major rubbing: upgrade your rear torsion bar and shock (I run 27mm hollow and Bilstein sports in the rear), install longer studs (62mm v.s. stock 45mm), add a 17mm spacer (I use a 10mm and 7mm combo), move the thermostat wire to run under one of the oil lines, flatten the clip on the right inner fender well, and shave the spring plate bolts down. I found that with a 17mm spacer, the oil lines do not need to be moved, and the tank is not an issue at all. For the extra wide Hoosiers, you would likely need to roll the fender lip in addition to the above. I also run a rear 18mm sway bar from a '74 911, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Of course, all the rear changes that stiffen the suspension need to be balanced with similar front changes as well.

I have not fit 215/60 tires on this rim in the rear of my '72, but Jeff Smith has, and I believe he only uses a 7mm spacer. Best of luck with you project,

Randy Wells

pwd72s

Re: R wheels on a '72

Randy...thanks, A LOT, for this post! Nothing like hearing from a "been there, done that" guy....apologies for my obvious error...Paul

bulldog

Well, after all that I won't be putting R wheels on the back of my 72S!
    Thanks.
    Jack

Paul, I just bought a copy of Der Shoe's book on ebay.

pwd72s

JAck..good for you! Great gags...timeless. Published in '64, and I still get my copy off the shelf & giggle.

thback

7x15 R rims

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the reply! ....A pleasure, as always.

Hope you're doing fine.
    Tom