Greetings all......the Goddess Porsche hath claimed the soul of yet another mortal being!

Tony here from the Seattle area - proud owner of a newly purchased light yellow ‘73S coupe. It wasn’t long into my search for an early “S” coupe that I buckled and made a purchase. Actually, it was the first car that I was able to make contact with its owner. Lucky for me, the owner just happens to be very deeply rooted in vintage Porsches and Porsche racing, not to mention he now runs a Porsche service facility just half an hour away. The car was gorgeous…the price was fair…it came with its own mechanic…how could I NOT buy it?

Anyway, the car has been outstanding. I don’t know what I enjoy more…the excitement that comes with driving an early 911 at speed, or the almost sensual process of hand washing the car’s exterior. However, I am experiencing what I assume is a problem with the engine’s performance at just above idle to about 50% throttle. When driving just about anywhere within this range, the car tends to hesitate under acceleration and pops and even backfires under deceleration. Accelerating at 60% and above, the engine operates absolutely flawlessly. Never skips a beat…Never!

The engine was completely overhauled by the previous owner approximately 2,000 miles ago, balanced and blueprinted. It’s due for a valve adjustment in about 500 miles, but is otherwise totally serviced.

If anyone can lend some valuable insight into what I’m experiencing, it would be greatly appreciated. Despite looking through numerous forums and tech boards for similar complaints, I haven’t been able to find any other mention of this problem.

Thanks and very best!

Tony