Thread: Koni Front Sport Shocks

Chuck Miller

Koni Front Sport Shocks

Need some feed back guys ..... My 73'-S came equipped with Koni struts and shocks. I started looking into changing out to Koni SPORT (Yellow/Gas operated) . What I found was Koni makes the rears (I think?) but not the fronts. It seems there are Koni SPORT insert options for other front struts (Bilstien/Bogie) but NOT for (there own) Koni struts - this seems very curious (IT SUCKS !). I do relize that Koni/America can modify my red
    inserts - cut, revalve, even add external adjusters. But to discover they don't make a reasonably priced, contemporary high pressure gas SPORT shock for there own strut is beyond me.
    I'm do'in pretty damn well in the POC/Short Track Series with the old stock reds ... just wanted-ta kick it up-a notch.
    Any thoughts ? ? ?

Chuck

racea911

To kick it up a notch...

I replaced my Koni's with Bilstein's all-around. You can always keep the Konis for possible future restoration. I'm sure most of the POC guys will agree that the Bilsteins are preferred over the Konis for sport purposes. I just had my front Bilsteins custom re-valved by Bilstein and had Steve Alarcon raise the spindles. Huge difference in my cars handling.

What class do you run in POC?

Chuck Miller

To kick it up a notch...

That's a WHOLE story in it's self ...... but I'm in H-P
    (H-Production) ... Been going out to the 'STREETS' off and on since I bought my car in 89'. But lately I've been doing the POC Short Track Series a little more seriously.... about 3 to 4 time a year.

racea911

Uh oh, HP, that's Jose Alvarez territory!

Jose (AKA Hose B) is a fast son of a gun. He is a friend of mine and has absolutely no fear, or no concept of his own mortality. He is a regular go-kart competitor of mine and he always wins there too. 1:17 on Streets of Willow for a 2.2 S is fast! He's faster than alot of the V3 guys.

He and another friend were the ones who helped me with my suspension set-up. If you want specifics of his/my set-up let me know. These are the Johnson's Alignment suggested pieces for an early car...

Chuck Miller

Uh oh, HP, that's Jose Alvarez territory!

Hey 'race',
    Why don't you fill me in on Jose's car and set up, if ya don't mind. You can e-mail me at the 'Contact Us' page on this web site.
    Thanks,
    Chuck Miller

Paragon Products
    The 8641-1039 Externally Adjustable Gas Sport inserts will fit your original Koni strut housings if the correct production date units are used. Koni changed the shape of the insert at some point and they'll now drop right in. We used to have to machine them to fit. You'll also need to purchase a set of the fine thread gland nuts that are required on the Koni strut housing as the 8641-1039's are boxed with the coarse thread Boge style nut.

Jason Burkett
    Paragon Products
    www.paragon-products.com

Chuck Miller

Re: Koni Front Sport Shocks

Thanks Jason, we'll look into it.

Chuck