Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gate Shifter for 915 trans

911SRegistry

Gate Shifter for 915 trans

Just wondering. Is anyone interested in a spring-loaded gate shifter for their 915? I'm working on a better alternative right now.

Sherwood
    www.seinesystems.com

JuanLopez

Gate Shifter for 915 trans

Sherwood,

Let me know what you work out. I also have a 78 SC that I had never liked the "dongle" of th stick.

Juan

ttweed
    Sherwood-

Do you mean a spring-loaded detent for the 1st-2nd gate like the Robotek? I would be interested in what you come up with. I always thought they were a little pricey @ $300. Nothing can ruin your day like a 5th-2nd accidental downshift at speed, though.

TT

911SRegistry

RE: Gate Shifter for 915 trans

Hi Tom,
    Yes, it's a spring-loaded shifter kit (for 1st/2nd) that works like the Robotek. In addition, there is an important feature that my shifter kit has that was overlooked by their makers - a gate that relieves spring pressure that causes noise (in some cases) and wear of the internal transaxle shift rods.

The main reason for creating this was because I too wanted the piece of mind of reducing that trip from 5th-to-2nd. After looking into it I saw this shortcoming not the least of which was the price. This should be a lot more reasonable in cost, plus be a better alternative to what's out there now ... or the factory unit. Not having seen this yet, what do you think the price range should be?

Thanks,
    Sherwood

racea911

I just bought the Wevo

and I still can't sit down. I thought I was buying the whole shifter assembled. I do like the new angle of the Wevo shifter though. It should make reaching 3rd gear while tightly strapped into a race seat much easier. This thing was twice the price of the Robotek too. I will probably trade it to my mechanic towards the work on my rebuild and would be interested in seeing your better, more affordable creation.

thback

Re: shifter

Hi Sherwood,

does it also makes the "throw" shorter? I.e. would it resemble a short shifter kit?

Tom

911SRegistry

RE: Shifter

Hi Tom,
    My shift kit doesn't shorten the throws. That's a function of the shift lever geometry provided by the factory short shift kit (911.424.931.000) and after-market kits. My kit defines each gear position better (short shift or not) and reduces shifting errors and potential engine damage when downshifting into a lower gear than intended (e.g. 5th to 2nd instead of 4th gear, or 4th to 1st instead of 3rd gear).

Sherwood

ttweed

Re: RE: Gate Shifter for 915 trans

Sherwood-

If they were 1/2 the price of the Robotek (say, $150) and functionally superior, as you indicate, you would sell a boatload of them, I think.

TT

911SRegistry

RE: Gate Shifter for 915 trans

Hi Tom,
    Thanks for the input. It should be ready next week. I'll post pics and description.

Sherwood

911SRegistry

Gate Shifter is here

Here's one of the first production pieces on my car. I'll have some in Cambria this weekend.