Thread: repairing "un-denting" steel gas tank

thback

repairing "un-denting" steel gas tank

anyone has experience in taking out dents on the underside of the steel gas tank (72/73)? Or is the advice to find a good used one? ;-)

Thanks
    Tom

911SRegistry

Fix the tank

Tom,
    I suppose a torch is out of the question?

Depending on the size/location of the metal deformation, perhaps one of the "paintless dent remover" services might assist you. You must have them in your part of the world too.

Be careful of any metal-to-metal contact that could create potentially deadly sparks. A thorough cleaning will leave the repair person's mind more at ease (less stress on the sphincters). If the tank were filled with some enert material (e.g. water), then the explosion hazard can be minimized.

Sherwood

pwd72s

Re: Fix the tank

If the dents were simple "oil can" type, I wonder if air pressure could blow 'em back straight? Anybody ever try this?

Rick Cabell
    Tom,
    In our body shop we have a snap-on spot welding system that tacks a spike the the affected area, and then you pull on the spike with a slid hammer and gently pull as needed. It takes several trys in differant areas,but with the right guy doing it, it works quite well.
    I saw a even better system demonstrated at the Frankfurt auto show so I know theyt have them in Europe.
    Hay, I bet there will be a demo of one at Techno Classica in the area where they have the restoration work shops.
    I just printed some photos of the Dunkle Meet to show you Sat, night. A couple good action shots of Chuck Miller going up I-695!

Robert G Laverty

Gas Tank Repair / dents

I pressurized one in about 1978 to remove an oil can type dent. Worked great...

Roland Kunz

"un-denting"

Hello

Carefull with airpressure

pressurized water is better ( will not burst )

However if your dent is a frogtype you need to pull or press trough the sender hole.

Grüsse

thback

Re: "un-denting"

Well, thanks for the several options. I'll try to "reach" the section through the sender hole. If not, I guess I have to go to Rick's option. In anyway, it will be a repair that will be o.k. as long as it lasts..

Tom

Erik
    Freeze it.

Works for motorcycle tanks.
    Though they are a bit smaller!

E.

thback
    what happens with a "frozen gastank"? Flips in it's original shape?

T.

pwd72s
    I think Erik meant fill (or partially fill) with H20, then freeze...I'd be careful with that one...might expand so much you break the tank. Roland's pressurized water idea sounds good, because you could watch as you added the pressure, a bit at a time?