Thread: Twin battery to single battery conversion

bulldog

Twin battery to single battery conversion

My brother-in-law has a 1973 T with the dual battery setup. He wants to convert to a single battery. Any suggestions, advice, references, experiences, etc would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Jack

pwd72s
    The hot single set up used to be the optima, placed on it's side on the driver's side of the car...but some of the battery will stick out of the box. There is another brand now, called a stinger, that fits inside the box. And, $pendy, but I'm still running 2 batteries, both gel cells, made by the German firm sonnenschien that are exact size replacements for the factory liquid batteries. Any good specialty battery firm should be able to help you...NOT a discount auto parts, but a shop that deals exclusively in batteries. I have been quite happy with the sealed no liquid acid batteries...they cost more, but the peace of mind is worth it. No more rotted carpet, no more rusted battery boxes, no more corrosion on the terminals...ahh, heaven!

bulldog
    Thanks, Paul. I'll pass it on.
    Jack

ttweed
    I would consider placing the single battery on the passenger side instead of the driver's side for better weight distribution during such a conversion. Or consider the smuggler's boot, if you don't have A/C equipment in there.

TT

JackOlsen
    The Stinger is surprisingly small. The same footprint as one of the stock batteries, but shorter. Here's one sitting next to a small coffee mug.

Similar Threads

1. WTB: twin-battery wiring harness.
    By MountainRoads in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 09:20 PM
  2. Best battery?
    By johnchodgson in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-14-2012, 11:24 AM
  3. Sealed Battery Recomendations for Battery Box
    By RickS in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 05:31 PM
  4. Converting from single battery, back to dual
    By kenikh in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-28-2006, 08:56 PM
  5. so why (and how) twin plug conversion?
    By turfclubroad in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 09:18 AM