Thread: RS Oil Cooler Fitment

JuanLopez

RS Oil Cooler Fitment

Hi All,

Any suggestions on which oil cooler will fit into an RS style front bumper spoiler from GT Racing? I bought a large MOCAL but found out it will not fit (oops, forgot to include the fittings on the measurements...).

Thanks, Juan

ttweed
    IIRC, the Mazda RX7 cooler is small enough to fit the RS bumper space, but I haven't tried it myself. Most people I know who fit big coolers up front with that spoiler end up having to modify the front sheet metal of the tub.

YMMV,
    TT

911SRegistry

front RS cooler

Juan and Tom,
    The RX7 cooler won't fit inside an RS front bumper unless you do some modifications to the front sheet metal. I know, I bought one and tried to squeeze it in. I eventually installed an Earls cooler. It's a snug fit, but it mounts using their brackets, requires no sheet metal work and fills the RS opening completely. There's no space for exit air, but haven't found this to be detrimental. The highest oil temps. so far is around 210ºF. The oil lines exit on the pass. end of the cooler (one, straight -12AN and one 45º -12AN), pass under and wind around the battery box to the RF fender area where the lines meet up with another set of AN straight and 45º fittings and -12AN-to-32mm (?) adapters to the factory hard lines. Some SS screen material from Pegasus protects the cooler from rocks and small mammals.

The oil cooler of choice really depends on the size of your engine, extent of HP modifications, intended use (street or track) and worse-case ambient temperature. The Earls is fine for my "rs" spec street 2.7 but I'm sure it'll be borderline ineffective with a 3.6. If your setup is more like this, I think an RX7 cooler or equivalent (B&B, larger Earls, etc.) with inlet and outlet trunk duct mods. for increased exit airflow might be the way to go. Other owners, like Jack Olsen, use twin oil coolers connected in series, one in each fender. However, they still need air flow; not sure if Jack has electric fans too.

Regards,
    Sherwood Lee

JuanLopez

Re: front RS cooler

Hi Sherwood and Tom,

Thanks for the suggestions. Which Earls cooler do you have? My plan is to add the front spoiler mounted cooler and keep the fender mounted cooler (right now a factory "S") but might change to a "higher efficiency" modern unit.

Guys, your feedback and help is always appreciated. Thanks for your enthusiasm. Juan

911SRegistry

Front mount oil cooler

Juan,
    The Earls cooler is their Temp-A-Cure Cooler, part number 25012. It's a 50 row cooler, 4" x 15 5/16" with two -12AN male fittings on the narrow end. I think I also used their steel mount bracket, no. 1950.

Hope this helps,
    Sherwood

JuanLopez

Re: Front mount oil cooler

Thanks much, I'll look into this and get back with my results.

Juan

MY911S

oil cooler

i have one sitting around (rx7 cooler) i don't really need. got it from an outfit in sand diego who races early 911's. if anyone needs it maybe we can do a trade.