Hi, I've got a 72 911E that all of a sudden (since I dragged it up to northern Indiana from Fla.) decided that it picks when it will let me start it. I did the lights on start test and they don't go out but do go very dim. The car was run at most twice a month for 6-7 years, so a lot of sitting took place. I don't think it is the battery, I suspect the wiring or solinoid.
Am I right in thinking I should have a 1.5 hp starter (9112200060) I recall this same issue back when I purchased the car in 87. I was active dutywhile my father did the wrenching and he claimed the car had a VW starter on it. Could he have been mistaken and it only had the .8 hp starter. He said he replaced it with a "bigger" one I can only assume the 1.5hp until i crawl under there, and it's freaken cold up here so I'd like to put it off for a while. Anyway it was suggested to run a heavier gage cable from the battery to the starter. It seems my cars timeframe of build has put me in a spot where I need to do some detective work and figure out just what is under there.

I think I know what I need and what to do, but I figured I'd draw on all your experiences and see if I am forgetting anything. The starting difficulty occurs when temps are around 15-20 F. It was warmer today (40F) and no trouble.

What do you guys think?
Thansk, Dennis
72 911E
91 5.0
69 spit