Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yellow/Amber HI Headlights

cegerer

Amber Headlights

So what is the availability of these? I've seen 2 "new" sets (lenses only) sell on German eBay in the past few months for under US$150. Were these NOS or are they still being manufactured?

curtisaa

Very cool........

These lights have "always" been a bit vogue, however illegal. Here in LA they don't hassle people, unless you mite a "rice rocket". I've had them on my car for 3 months and no probs yet?? Your price seems about correct..call Dave @ roadnrace..323-6607674.

Curt

cegerer

Amber Lights

Thanks for the lead, Curt. I'm still trying to decide whether to make my car 'vogue' or not. BTW, here's a link to a good headlight FAQ:

home.earthlink.net/~strid.../blue.html

It's lengthy and deals mainly with the blue HID lights, but also contains information from the US and Canadian federal codes regarding illumination. They both read the same and allow "white, white-to-yellow, or yellow" lights for illumination. I'm sure many law enforcement officiers are unaware of these codes and might question there legality anyway! -- Curt

curtisaa

Very good Curt........

Excellent job on the research...A+++++. I've always heard (misnomer) that these yellows were not compliable to US standards.

..."Light - ON"!!!!!!!!!!!!

6Shooter

Yellow/amber H4 headlights

Curtis, I love the serious/business look of your '88 R Gruppe/Carrera. It must be fun. You can't have too much black. Keep the wheels, do it the way YOU want, it's your car. To each their own, ya know. Besides, everyone personalizes/options (factory or aftermarket) their car to make them happy/satisfied.
    You have had much better luck with the yellow H1 lenses than I had with yellow H4 bulbs. I was stopped THREE times within 24 hours on a L.A. to Solvang to L.A. Christmas eve run in 1981. When I pulled off the freeway (northbound), the CHP had been following me. The CHP said that they were driving southbound, saw my yellow headlights (which they said, "stuck out like a sore thumb"), got off the freeway, turned around to trail me on the freeway, and give me a Christmas eve gift/speeding ticket. They told me that the yellow headlights were illegal, so I promised to replace them in L.A. when the stores opened after Christmas. The next evening, on the way back (in Ventura) another CHP gave me another speeding ticket (I didn't learn) and actually wrote me up for the illegal yellow headlights. Back in L.A., a LAPD motorcycle cop SLOWED DOWN on the 5 freeway (I tried hiding behind/around a tractor trailer) to write me up for the yellow headlights when he saw them in his mirrors. He didn't write me another ticket since I already had the Ventura CHP headlight/speeding ticket. I tried to explain that I needed the yellow headlights since it was very foggy where I lived (still got the ticket). When they asked how fast I was going, I replied 3 grand, I just looked at the tach (still got those tickets). Oh well... wasn't the speed limit 55mph back then?

curtisaa

yellow lights: Federal and Calif Law

Amazing...looked up the Federal and California law on driving lights. Curt was right on the Federal level and looked up in "Loislaw" (lawyers search engine), the Calif. statue. CVC #25950,"the emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visable from the front of a vehicle, shall be white or yellow, except as follows......". none of the rest pertains to yellow headlights.

...thanks aqain Curt

cegerer

Re: yellow lights: Federal and Calif Law

In order to complete this thread for future reference, this link on yellow lights should also be included:

lighting.mbz.org/tech/inf...ght_color/

This Dan Stern guy is some kind of headlight guru! -- Curt

schmidt

gelb

I have used the yellow in many cars without problems, and if you read the motor vehicle specification standards carefully, you will see that the yellow lenses for the H1 and the yellow H4 bulbs with the yellow shield around them may be subject to further argument the MAY prove their non compliance. I run a larger Hella type 118 fog lamp of six inches compared to the stock five inch unit on my car in white in addition to the yellow H1 lights. With both units on I have a good argument as having a compliant set of lights with the DOT legal sized 55 watt fog lights. This setup on this on this particular car of mine can be seen on the Pelicanparts.com web site under the swapmeet photos at Parts Obsolete. There are about four photos of the car and you can also see the correct yellow reverse bulbs if you look carefully.

curtisaa

What are you stating Smitty??

In California, the VC is very clear. The Federal code, which is 52 pages and quite detailed could be a bit more complicated. After reading some and skimming some, it appears the litigators who composed it got a lot of help from MIT.
    I know that I will be carrying both versions with me. BTW, not being an attorney, I DO understand that State statues can supercede Federal statues on these type vehicle codes.

schmidt

gelb

My interpretation is that white and yellow to white is fine but that yellow may not be, this coming from the earlier links listed above. What did you find in the 53 page federal code? Send me a link I would love to read it. As for California, I live in Oregon and do not know the state and local statues that may regulate such matters. I will take you word for it, if you read the federal standards and they were clear that yellow is legal that is great. I would however like to read it, and keep a copy of it in my glove box for the fuzz. Thanks for your input.