Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yellow/Amber HI Headlights

schmidt

gelb

I read one of the summarys again from one of the above links and it look light the legal term for white light includes yellow to a certain level. It states that PARTIAL tint dichroic yellow light fit within the spectrum of what is considered "white" and that the full tint dichroic bulbs and lenses that we are discussing are to yellow and do not fit within the FMVSS108 code. The correct yellow H4 bulbs and the yellow H1 lenses are a full tint yellow, and if it came to litagation I would be afraid that this full tint yellow would be found to be non compliant.

curtisaa

"stayin home"

I guess that means I won't be takin' any trips to the NW to visit you boys unless I change-out the lenses -OR- when crossing the border I can always go stealth??

schmidt

gelb

Are the codes in Cali written in favor of using the yellow lights? What did you think when you reread the above link as it pertained to FMSVSS108, it sounds to me that the full yellow spectum is not compliant.

cegerer

Re: gelb

You might want to take a look at this link as well. Stern indicates that Oregon and Washington specifically allow 'E-code' lighting due to fog conditions. Although this may not specifically address yellow lights, these states do seem a bit more receptive to non-standard lighting.

lighting.mbz.org/tech/inf...ght_color/

Schmidt, I agree that your current setup would seem to be legal anyway due to the 'oversize' white fogs. Also, what's the story on your car's interior?? Very nice!

-- Curt

soterik

yaller

I don't drive at night....

schmidt

interior

The interior was done about ten years ago, it is full red leather, everything, if it is red it is leather. As you know full leather was not an option in 72, but there was one car I know of that was a Porsche exec. car that was metallic green and had a full avacodo green leather interior, so I know that at least the factory had done it at least once before. It used four hides of leather that were matched left to right for common texture, wilton wool carpets with original backings from NOS floor sections that were striped of their backings and a standard ivory headliner. It is both unique and very factory looking, even all of the holes for the center dash speaker holes had to be done by hand and are perfect. The sport seat inserts are the original tartan Madras plaid, the original material was no longer available, so I employed a professor in the hand weavers guild to custom die all of the original colors and reproduce the original triple ply wood plaid on a loom. The floor mats are NOS hemp six piece style in red with the center tunnel sections which I do not know if they are in the photos. I have changed a few things since I completed the interior only to make it look more authentic and correct. I am currently working on the original blue plaid and the correct black and white houndsthooth wool. The car has a very striking appearance with the red interior as you can see from the photos. I take it that you have seen the interior shot in the photos with the door open.

911E

lights schmidtes

As you know, the gin martini does not come standard from the factory with vermouth or an olive, although I did come across one last week that was a little wet. Unable to find an olive of the correct hue, I engaged a small greek man to procure one from a tree in the backyard of his great uncle, Demitri.

The car looks great...what are we doing Friday night cap'n?

curtisaa

which car to Cambria??

WOW...Smitty !!! Sounds awesome..Please bring it to Cambria so we can ALL practice our drooooling......

soterik

Houndstooth

Jeff etc:

I have sourced the black and white houndstooth....100% wool.

The seat inserts in my 67S, are NOS houndstooth, black and white, from Gary Emory. We pulled the fabric from a pair of seat covers he had in his stock for 35 years. I also have the factory fabric book with the correct swatch.

As a comparison to the material at Auto's Intl...it's light years different in my opinion...and I also have a set of sport seats with the Auto's fabric as an insert...

The fabric I have sourced is out of Europe, and is an almost 100% match. The color is slightly "whiter" than my seats and my swatch....perhaps the color yellowed slightly in my car and the swatch book in 35 years.

Pricing is exhorbitant....with duty and shipping, I am looking at $150 per yard, roughly. That includes getting a discount by shipping it to a relative in the furniture recovering business.

If anyone is interested please let me know. Additionally I'll ship a swatch to Jeff to see if he agrees with me on how good the material is for pattern and color (I only have a 3 x 6 inch swatch....I'd be happy to take a picture and send.

Lastly, if Jeff or anyone else can do better anywhere else on this fabric, please let me know, as I would personally prefer to not have to spend this kind of money on fabric for seat inserts.

regards,
    Eric elinden@earthlink.net
    PS...Jeff, send me your address, so I can send a swatch.

schmidt

hound

Yes I have seen two variations of the wool in terms of color. I have two samples of original material and one is what is called natural wool colored and the other is clearly bleached according to me weaver. It seems that the later houndstooth was the bleach type which gives it a very white appearance. The material needs to be a two ply with the same cross count to be correct. Send it down. The other materials available are way off and a complete disappointment, the Autos Inter. houndstooth was a poly blend with the wrong pattern. weight, and texture, it would have made a better cheap jacket.

Jeff Smith
    4625 sw illinois st.
    portland Or.