Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 85L tank + compressor + collapsable spare

Roland Kunz

85L tank

Hello

The 73 S and the SC came stock with a 85L plastic fueltank ( First in car production history ).

I didn´t think the made it out of ROW delivery.

In 74 a 83 L steeltank was aviable and standard with the S and SC cars.

I never had seen the mentioned canadian produced comprssor and in fact I had seen many old cars. They mostly had the blue box compressor or the fill bootle.

As here is a importent step to improve my only rudimentare knowledge i would like to get more informations on that. I´m also willing to contact Mr. Konradsheim to have discuss exact history or try to find something in the Porsche archives.

Maybe the candian compressor was a add on att the oversee dealers and Porsche didn´t shiped the german made unit with the US deliverance.

This also happend with AC units who came prepared to receive the in german expensive US made York unit. European cars had mostly italian made ? Tucsemis ( Sp )

( Maybe Fred Schwab was working there in that time :-)

You also can contact Mr. Konradsheim youself. I can´t give you his phone number but you will find his e-mail address on his hompage.

( For all people now understanding nothing look a www.tag-books.com

If you have old Porsche factory paint boxes ( You know the "Lackstift" ?) in non stock colors he collects them.

Grüsse

CBOYER

Re: 85L tank

The compressor was a Webster of Canadian origin. It had a cream colured plastic box and a black motor. It looked exactly the same as the Bayriss Druckguss-Werk Thurner item or at least the operating instruction sheet that I have for the BDT unit has a picture that looks identical to the Webster unit.

These compressors were readily available in the same format as used in the Porsche for purchase in hardware stores in Australia from 1973 to around 1976/77.

Only 15 911 S 1973 cars made it to Australia via the dealership and to the best of my knowledge all cars had the Webster unit.

The puzzle however is that I have found in the back of the handbook of one of the cars I now own the instruction sheet and warranty card for the BDT unit although the car has a Webster unit.

Can't explain that one.

I had a 1973 2.4E which was ordered in Australia but collected in Germany and driven around Europe in 1973/74. It had the 85 litre tank and the space saver etc. When I owned it in 1996 it had a Webster compressor and the instuctions for the Webster.

Maybe they had two suppliers or as is suggested that local dealers supplied the compressors.

Clyde Boyer

Roland Kunz

compressor

Hello

In fact strange and something new. I think the compresssors must had come with the factory then.

Maybe there is a difference between ROW and oversea delivery units and the workers simple had the order to select the boxes reguarding there color.

I also rember that Opel used a black & yellow box reguarding there house colors.

The Opel Diplomat was the first car with the colapsible spare. Also speed ratet to 160 km/h despite the car had some 1,8 tons wight. They maybe had Holden siblings in Australia. Also where sold as Buick in the US.

Now speaking off the "Webster" unit the cream plastic box was also the handle bar and could be splittet to unfold the wires and the hose. Those came AFIK with the 74 MY and where standard up to the orange boxed unit ( coming in 1981 ? ).

They had been also used by Opel and I think the Pontiac Firebird.

Grüsse

CBOYER

Re: compressor

Yes the Webster unit is as you describe with a creme plastic casing the splits in the middle to expose the wires and motor.

The operating instructions document I have for the BDT compressor has picture which shows a compressor identical to the Webster compressor I have yet you seem to be saying that the BDT unit is different in some way.

What did the BDT unit that you know look like as it seems to me that it and the Webster are identical.

Clyde

Roland Kunz

Webster compressor

Hello

In fact I never looked who manufactored them as the cases don´t like to get opend often and also get brittle over the years beside the batteryfumes ( If the venttube is away as usuall ). Some had a short pictogram picture hanging on them like on the tow hook.

It just showed how to route the wires trough the hole and that the unit has to stand in the closed shell while working. This was in a 79/928 US version.

Grüsse

thback

85L tank + compressor + collapsable spare

O.k. guys,

thanks for the info. I saw the cream coloured compressor in both the Canadian and German version. They both look completely the same, except for the logo of the Canadian manufacturer, stamped into the lower right side of the compressor.

Also the sticker of the Porsche partsnumber had different appearances (silver with large black figures and white with printed figures).

Another strange thing is the following; The cars fitted with the 85L. tank had two additional mounting points. Left upper corner, just below the chassisnumber. The mounting point is a reinforced plate with nut, fitted with two bolts/nuts.

I've seen a 911E with earlier chassisnumber than mine (91132..500nr.) which was fitted with the 85L. tank. Mine is later model (9113300981), NOT fitted with the 85L. tank. According to Mr. Johnson's bible ALL '73 models had the 85L. tank. Others mention it was an option. DOn't have a clue here..

I have some remaining questions;

What is the average price the 85L. tank go for? What's the price of the compressor?

I've seen some tanks painted (not original); How to remove any paint or body coating, etc.? Steel brush not a good idea, solvent is damaging the surface of the tank?

Thanks again guys for any answer.

Tom

schmidt

tank

Thback, are you in the states? Or are you refering to cars outside the US.

thback

85L tank + compressor + collapsable spare

Outside (the Netherlands). Does this make any difference?

T.

CBOYER
    Yes I think it does matter according to previous posts. My understanding was that ALL 1973 S cars had the 85 litre tank and it was optional for other cars of that year however it appears that in the USA that this was not the case as several people claim to have the steel tank with the larger spare in original 73S cars. Beats me. Certainly in Aust all 73S cars had 85 litre tanks.

I bead blasted a tank that I had and it cleaned it very well but did make the colour a little less grey. It restored well when I put Mequires vinyl restorer on it for a few days and it has lasted well since. I paid $800 A for another tank I needed.

Compressors are like hens teeth although in Aust the Webster compressor was sold as a normal unit in stores and that is how I managed to locate a hardly used version.

Good luck with the search.

Clyde Boyer

Roland Kunz

85 L

Hello

Now the plastic RS fuel tank also used in the S versions used two hold downs and one J formed front base to be secured in the car. The upper hold downs need a reinforcemment plate under the trunk floor with is rivetet in with two blind rivets and has the M8 thred hole in the middle for the screw. Those parts where still aviable at Porsche ( not sure about today ). The plate was made in two versions and have a symetrical design.

I contactet the OEM from the plastic tank for further details and about repair/restoration possibilitys.
    I also asked if he is willing to think about a rerun and how much would be the base output.

However what came with the different versions must be eratet by checking original cars from that period.
    My ROW brain filed database isn´t accurate.

Grüsse