Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSI's

mwalker09

SSI's

Is there a difference between MFI SSI's and carb SSI's? Is there much of a performance gain or just cosmetics?

pwd72s
    Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but reading the ad copy, I assumed (assumptions can cause trouble?) that the MFI SSI exchangers had a provision for the injection pump warming tube, while the carb version did not. Otherwise, identical as far as performance goes?

CBOYER56
    Your right,assumptions are dangerous, as the SSI do NOT have the heat tube extension for the MFI cars and what a bloody pity they don't make them as I sure would by some.

Someone with influence (not me) should get them off their backsides to produce some. I have seen where some people have gone to the trouble of getting a phantom piece welded into the SSI to look like the factory muffler.

Clyde

targa911s

ssi

Sorry guys but they do make them for MFI and of course they do have a provision for the warmup tube. I own a pair of them. They are set up to replace the originals exactly. now mine are about three years old and they may have stopped making them that way, but as I said, I have a pair and they do have a warm up outlet in the axact same place as the factory ones.

pwd72s

Re: ssi

Thanks. I thought I'd seen a catalog ad that illustrated the warm up tube provision. Couldn't remember which catalog though. Actually, there are two warm up tubes on a stock '72. A large one leads to the air cleaner intake, a small one leads to the injection pump temp. sensor. I really don't see a need for the one leading to the air intake, maybe smog requirements?

CBOYER56

Well hit me with a kangaroo. Certainly have never seen the SSI you both talk about but will be doing my best to find two sets if they still exist.

If you have any clues I would appreciate info.

Sorry pwds72 for doubting you obviously excellent memory.

Clyde

CBOYER56

Well hit me with a kangaroo.

Certainly have never seen the SSI you both talk about but will be doing my best to find two sets if they still exist.

If you have any clues I would appreciate info.

Sorry pwds72 for doubting you obviously excellent memory and in future I will be more circumspect.

Clyde

targa911s

ssi

The big one that goes to the air in take does not hook to the exchanger. The right side, (looking forward) for MFI is the same as for the carb model. The only differance is the warm up tube on the left side exchanger. Check the Automotion catalogue or call them. I have found that as time marches on cataloges are showning less stuff for our cars to save space, but they do stock stuff you just have to call them.

pwd72s

My car's engine is original...I mean, "owiginal"...right down to the heat exchangers. There ate TWO fittings for tubes on the left side exchanger...the smaller tube for the MFI heat riser and a larger tube, near the rear of the exchanger, that leads to the air intake. Wish Ihad a digital camera, I'd send a pic. Please believe me on this one. Both hoses run through the engine compartment sheet metal. Maybe Schmidt could weigh in, back me up on this?

Chuck Miller

SSI's

Calm down 72 your absolutely right, the bigger hose exit is for the 'Cold Start'/ Warm-Air flapper before the air intake.
    It works like a thermostat, when it detects enough warm air for cold-start idel it flaps closed and lets the ambient
    air come in through the adjacent air intake. Allot of us in the hotter climets eliminate the flapper assembly and cap the big hose. If you check some of the early RS road tests you'll see that some of the pictures show that they just took off the rubber intake hose between the flapper and the air cleaner therefor eliminating the effect of the flapper.